Another one.

How many did he save in the process?

Another one.

And he always couldn't save the important ones every. Single. Time.

He growled as a shinobi nicked his skin with a kunai and in a flash...

Dead.

And in the middle of all the dead shinobi, Sakumo closed his eyes as he felt the warm crimson blood drain from his hands and cake his arms.

Draining away like his sanity.

He woke up blearily in a cold room in thin bed sheets, hands cuffed and bound to the bed.

"What is this-"

Karasu, Jiraiya and Sarutobi stood at the end of his bed, all wearing drained, tired faces. Karasu's eyes were puffy and red, and she gave a small sob before walking out of the room with a nurse.

"Do you remember what happened?"Jiraiya asked carefully, jaw tightening.

Sakumo did. And part of him was ashamed, but most of all was...

"... What about Kakashi?"

Jiraiya chakra flared in anger and Sakumo's eyes widened in shock as his friend grabbed him by the collar, ignoring the bruises starting to form at Sakumo's wrists, the cuffs straining.

"Kakashi Kakashi KAKASHI! Is he all that you care about?! Did you also loose your love for your wife in the process?! Or the care for the people around you?! Do you KNOW what your KI did to some civilians who couldn't take shinobi of your standards?! You TRAUMATIZED them Sakumo! TRAUMATIZED a f*cking KID! A family! A whole f*cking 20 PEOPLE!" Jiraiya yelled, snarling.

"Jiraiya-" Hiruzen tried interrupting but was silenced at the pure silent rage in his student's eyes.

After a few minutes of silence and heavy breathing, Jiraiya let Sakumo down gently.

" You have lost your mind Sakumo. Lost your kid, your trustworthiness, your wife, your friends- but I still care about you." Jiraiya's eyes softened. 

"Let me help you Sakumo."

"Sakumo." a voice snapped him out of his trance and he turned to find Jiraiya standing there with a hint of worry in his eyes.

His eyes were always so expressive. Sakumo mused, and smiled.

"I'm ok." I will be.

...

Age updates:

Kakashi generation: 13

Shisui: 9

Itachi: 5

Plot changes:

Shisui never awoke the mangekyo sharingan due to war not happening and his best friend never died.

...

In the mind of a silver tired soul, a weak spirit huffs tiredly, arms shackled to the ground.

Kakashi groaned as his muscles continued aching continuously, fatigue plaguing him constantly. No relief, always submitting to the pain.

No... I have to fight - for this second chance I have. Kakashi grit his teeth as another wave of nausea hit him and he bit his lip to prevent a pathetic whimper from escaping him.

Shakily he stood up and pulled at the chains before a rush of chills rattled his spine and he crumpled on the ground, gasping for air.

I-I can't fight this.

No chakra to help him, nobody to hear him, hell, no body to even use!

Useless.

Weak.

He thought back to his childhood, then to his father.

He never told him directly - face to face.

The three important words he failed to tell anyone he loved in his life.

"I love you." he croaked, a few tears gathering at his eyes and they burned. They burned painfully and he couldn't make it stop, couldn't wipe them away. 

His head hurt, everywhere hurt. His whole body burned as if it were on fire.

Don't let the flames consume you.

He couldn't stop the pain.

...

1053 words

...

A/N

Aaaaaaaannnnnndddddd that's a wrap!

You know, when I was writing the Sakumo part, I kept thinking of the meme: 'Another one, and another one.' you know that one? And I just laughed in living room while some people were over.

I'll write longer next time!

Craving milo from Singapore,

- Migale373