Chapter 28: Reunion

ابدأ من البداية

"You look through these, and when I come back then we can talk," I placed my hand on his shoulder, then handing him the SD card.

He took it without another word and inserted it into the computer. I grabbed a fresh pair of warm clothes, like my favorite olive green sweater and comfy loose pants. I went into the bathroom and took a hot shower, realizing how truly dirty I was. The soap in the hotels wasn't that amazing, at least compared to my girly shampoo and conditioner—scented with coconut and vanilla.

I got out of the shower, feeling as though I was reborn again. I styled my dark hair, making sure my waves wouldn't come out as frizzy. I then threw on my clothes and walked into my room to find Jughead looking at a picture of me on the beach. I had a timid smile since it was a selfie, and on that day I wasn't the only one at the beach. My hair was flying everywhere but thankfully not in my face during the shot.

Jughead turned to me with a frown on his face, but more of an angry disappointed stare. I closed the door behind me, not wanting my parents to hear whatever conversation we were about to have.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying to not push him.

"Everything. Literally everything," he huffed, before turning back to the computer. "I just can't help but be mad. You left me, stuck in this stupid shitty town at one of the worst moments in my life, and while I was going through all of that you were taking a selfie on a beach. How do you think I feel?" He ranted, his voice stern and harsh.

I couldn't look him in the eyes, not able to face him like this. I didn't know what to say.

"I know. It wasn't fair-"

"Damn right it wasn't!" He raised his voice, making me flinch. He quickly lowered it, not wanting to alert my parents from downstairs, also noticing me react.

He let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his dark hair. I think that was the angriest I had ever seen Jughead, and I hated myself for it.

He turned away from me and back at the computer, closing the picture from our sight. I pulled my sleeves down to my palms, giving myself a sense of security.

"Jughead," I began, timidly. "I don't know what you went through, and I know we aren't going to go back to where we were for a long time, maybe even ever. But if I knew that you were about to go through the worst time of your life, I wouldn't have left. I swear."

He remained turned away, letting the silence say everything. I left the room to put on a little bit of makeup before returning to see that the computer was completely turned off and he was on his phone.

Looking back up to see me, he said: "You ready?"

"Yeah."

With that, we jogged downstairs to find my mom and dad in the living room, an odd site considering usually one of them was at work.

"Hey, guys. I'm going to Pop's. I'll be back at around six. Okay?" I told them.

They looked at each other for approval, not knowing if I should leave or stay.

"Alright. But no later than six. Right, Jughead?" My father looked over at him with a stern dad glare, brow raised.

"Right, sir," he gave a slight smile, which faded when he looked back at me. He was the first to walk out. I could tell Jug was still upset with me, which was to be expected.