Chapter 6 (Practice)

Start from the beginning

"Just don't make him cry." I say to myself as I unlock the door and wait for him to come up. I take one more deep breath just as the door swings open.

"I'm here!" John exclaims as he runs in, his backpack flopping behind him. He collides into me before wrapping his arms around me in a hug. "I already started my homework on the bus so I don't have to do so much." He says excitedly as he rushes to the dining room table. He sits and pulls out his homework. "I'll finish quick so we can do stuff."

"Uh, okay." I say, slightly shaken from his excessive energy. "I made you a sandwich. Do you want it?"

"Yeah, brain food! I'll finish even faster!" I can't help the small smile that appears at how excited he is. Does this kid really like me that much? I don't even think Arabella likes me this much.

I place John's sandwich on the table beside him and he gives me a quick "thank you" before going back to his work.

"Do you need help?" I ask.

"No, I can do it."

"Okay. Just ask if you do." He gives a quick nod before taking a bite of his sandwich and going back to his work. Hopefully the next few hours will go this smoothly. As long as he stays happy, the next few hours should go by smoothly.

*Arabella*

I shut down my computer and grab my purse before leaving my office. I switch on my phone as I walk to my car, expecting there to be messages from Derek, but there are none. A smile forms on my face as I imagine how well things must be going with John.

"Arabella." Someone says. I pause, startled by the unfamiliar voice. I turn and see a tall man with dark curly hair with hints of grey and stubble around his jaw. His sunglasses hide his eyes, and I shiver as a red flag goes up and a strange feeling enters my stomach. He smiles as he starts towards me. I move back and he takes that as a sign to stop. "Don't be scared." He says, putting his hands up in calming gesture. "We've met before, remember?"

I look at his grey dress pants, light blue button up, and brown Gucci leather loafers. His outfit is expensive, perfectly tailored to fit him. He's obviously wealthy. I'm sure I'd remember a man like him.

He removes his sunglasses and I'm met with brown eyes. The slight wrinkles around them are somehow charming. The red flag stays raised as I still don't recognize him. I move further away, closer towards my car in case I need to escape. Despite being right outside my building at the end of the day, there's no one out here but us.

"I know it's been years since we briefly met, so I don't blame you for not recognizing me." He continues, the smile still on his face. "I'm Derek's friend, Gavin. You might remember the time Derek needed a place to hole up for a while? I was the one who helped get him that place." His brow raises slightly as he looks at me, waiting for me to remember.

The red flag slowly lowers as I remember the fully stocked apartment Derek stayed in briefly downtown. He was the one friend who was kind enough to help. Though there's not much that's changed, the small details that have aged him make a difference.

"Right." I say with a small nod. "Thank you for that by the way."

"Ah, it was the least I could do. He's like a son to me." I narrow my eyes. If he's really that close with Derek, where has he been all these years? Why has Derek never mentioned him besides that one day? Who exactly is Gavin, and how does he know Derek? "How is Derek doing?" He asks. His smile disappears and is replaced with a mask of concern. "When I met up with him last weekend he didn't seem to be doing so well."