Chapter 10: Motorcycle Toy

"He's sleeping?" I whisper to the nurse.

"Yes." She nods. I peek into the room.

"Can we go see him?" Raylen whispers.

"No baby." I sigh.

"Why?"

"Because he's sick."

It's already been a month and he should be fully recovered in four to eight weeks.

Max was caught and he tried to run so the officer that caught him shot him dead.

I'm partially grateful that I went to my Gma's house with Nathan.

I never would have found out somebody was coming after him if I didn't. He would be dead.

He could've been murdered when he was home alone with the kids. He could've been murdered in front of Raylen and Noemie, or in front of me.

The nurse said he's doing well, talking and laughing. They have him walking around the hospital and he's doing well. He got most of the tubes taken out and now he gets to go to the bathroom by himself at least. He's depressed though. He flat out told the doctor that he's depressed and he's sad that I actually went back to Ohio. The public got wind of the story that there was a shooting in in presidents mansion and the story of what happened was leaked and somebody leaked the video we played at our wedding.

The public made a petition to execute my grandparents for what they did to my family and now to Nathan.

The president is going to do it I think and I'm not sure how I feel about it. He visits Nathan every single day and I spend my days in the hotel across the street letting the kids watch French cartoons. I come sit in the waiting room for a few hours, usually from noon to five, and then I go back to the hospital. Our family went back to their houses and I know my parents and Nathan's parents go to our house once a week to check in and clean things and check the mail. They start up the cars and Lucia and take them around the block so they won't be broken when we get home.

He has no clue we're here.

Every day when he falls asleep I sneak into his room to kiss his cheek. He's looking much better. Stronger, even. The color is returned to his face and the doctor has him work out as much as he can so he still has all of his strength. The nurse said that the stitches from them cutting his throat are gone and it's just a scar now. The bullet wound though, hasn't healed yet and the doctor said he's taking a bit longer to heal than expected.

I slip into his room quickly, leaving the kids with the nurse, and give him his daily kiss, my eyes studying his sleeping form. My heart clenches from how much I miss him, but I suck it up and walk out. This isn't about me, this is about him.

I go back out quietly, taking the kids.

"Can you do me a favor?" I ask the nurse. She nods. "Tell him I called to ask how he is." I say. "That way he knows I still care about him." I take Noemie from her arms as she nods.

"I can do that."

"Thank you." I hesitate. "But do not tell him anything else. Just lie if he asks."

"Okay." She laughs. I nod my head and walk away, leaving the hospital.

"Do you think Daddy mad at me?" Raylen asks when we reach the hospital."

I tighten my grip on his hand as I cross the crosswalk.

"No baby, I do not."

"I kill him." He frowns.

"No you did not sweetie, Daddy is just fine."

And he is. He's in a bit of pain, but he's getting better.