Chapter 7: Promise

PREPARE TO SOB OK?!?

_____

Not only is the assassin paid to off me, but he's paid to off Josh too.

So they locked us in a bedroom in the basement of the mansion like prisoners.

It's a nice room though, carpet floors and cream colored walls, two twin beds, a bathroom, and a flat screen TV, along with a ton of gaming systems.

Josh lays on his bed, staring at the ceiling. I do the same, my mind full.

I wish I was home with my wife and kids. I miss mornings where Raylen would come in and climb between Odeletta and I. I miss Christmastime. I miss my jacuzzi tub and carrying Raylen to his treehouse to play. I miss mowing the lawn and doing things I do to own a house.

A few days ago I was making love to my wife in my bathtub and now I'm locked in the basement of the President of France's mansion and somebody is out to kill me, my baby is in surgery, and everything is falling apart.

I feel like how I did years ago when my wife didn't know me and everything was horrible, and it felt like I was walking on glass.

Now I feel like I'm surrounded in glass. It's been a few days and I have no idea how much more I can take of this.

They won't even let my family come in to see me.

The only person who comes in is Max, which is the guy who has been guarding us.

I remember that feeling a few years ago where I needed a floor to fall to and Odeletta wasn't there to catch me.

And I lay in this bed and I wonder how my daughter is. I wonder where that assassin is.

"Are we going to die?"

Josh is quiet for so long that I glance over to make sure he's awake.

He's just staring at the ceiling.

"I don't know." He whispers finally.

"I have two babies." I whisper. "I can't die. I have a wife. A family."

"Me too. I have two grand babies. A wife. A family."

It's just quiet.

He sighs and sits up, rubbing his head.

"Is the president back?"I wonder.

"Yes." I mutter. "Max is looking for the assassin."

"They better kill him." He mutters. "My in-laws are so annoying."

He gets up and walks into the bathroom. I hear the shower start.

I sigh, standing up.

I'm getting out of this fucking room. I've been locked down here for a week and I know everyone is home. I can sneak upstairs to Odeletta and my kids and go cuddle my wife.

I pull on a white t-shirt with my sweatpants and turn around to walk out.

Max stands in the doorway. He glances at the shut bathroom door.