The Ancient Guardians (Water, Chap. 1)

THE ANCIENT GUARDIAN OF WATER

Chapter 1

Time is constantly fleeting. Even if you don’t care for it, it’ll keep pulling you forward like a vortex. Although, the majority of people feel the need to chase after it; they always want more time to do what they want. But no matter how much you chase, you simply can’t gain more than what you have. For instance: there’s no way that I’ll be able to fix my hair in time for the party tonight. Just look at it! (What? You can’t see it?) It’s all curly and chaotic! I just HAD to go do that extra training at the pool. It always gets like this after it gets wet. Why didn’t I think ahead?!

            My mom’s voice came from downstairs. “Marla! Jessica’s on the phone for you.”

            Marla: that’s my name. Marla Wattson. I’m 17 years-old and I’m in 12th grade. My hair is brown and usually wavy, hanging at shoulder-length. I’m 5’7’’ tall with a thin figure, complete with blue eyes and a small nose. Oops, can’t keep my friend waiting. I hadn’t even heard the phone ring. Nevertheless, I answered with my bedroom’s phone. “Hey.”

            “Hey Marla, I’m about to leave to meet up at your place. I’ll be there in 10 minutes.” Jessica was the one who invited to the party. Although she’s 3 years older than me, she’s my closest friend.

            “Jess… it’s Judgment Day; the nuclear warheads have launched and they all coincidentally exploded in my damned hair!”

            “Not again… Well, try to put as much order as you can and it’ll probably look like you intentionally made it curly. Anyways, be ready in 10 minutes.” She hung up before I could reply.

            I sighed and put the phone down.  Sitting down in front of the mirror, I looked at my curly mess again. I set to work and started by tying up the messiest parts with some pins, then proceeded to curl or uncurl some of it as best as I could to get some kind of general balance. After 8 minutes, it didn’t look half bad. I still preferred my hair wavy, but I guess this’ll have to do. Taking advantage of the remaining time, I checked my outfit again.  I wore some not-too-tight black jeans, a gray tank top and some large silver earrings. I wondered if my top was revealing my chest too much.

Unfortunately, my time was up as I heard the front door’s bell and my mom calling: “Jessica’s at the door, honey!”

“Don’t call me ‘honey’, mom!” That nickname was just too… sweet for me. I don’t know how many times I asked her not to call me like that. It’s supposed to be cold tonight, so I grabbed my warm hoodie and headed for the door. I saw Jessica waiting for me inside as I was zipping it up.

She made a small wave at me and we gave each other a quick hug. “How’re you doing?” She asked.

“My hair survived the apocalypse, so I’m okay.” I answered while tying my shoes.

“Not what I was talking about.” She crossed her arms. She was wearing a striped white cardigan, a black tank top underneath with a long necklace, some black jeggings and small heels on her feet. A couple bracelets on her arms completed the outfit and her brown hair was tied in a small ponytail. Her brown eyes glared at me and her lip-ring moved in the ‘don’t dodge the issue’ position.

I rolled my eyes. “Can we talk about that later?”

“Fine, we have plenty of time on the way there.”

I finished tying my shoes, stood up and yelled down the hallway: “Bye mom! I’ll be sleeping at Jess’ place tonight!”

“Bye! Have fun!” She answered the same way.