The Ancient Guardians (Chapter 20)

THE ANCIENT GUARDIANS

Chapter 20

There always has to be SOMEone that ruins all the fun. William and I were definitely not taking this overboard. And so, just as we were about to rip each other's guts out, a giant pillar of stone sprung out of the ground between us and tore us apart. I bent backwards, put one hand on the ground, flipped my legs over and was straight again. Will seemed like he would've fallen but his legs stopped bending midway, leaving his body in a 90 degree angle. We both looked at the spot where Clint had been sparring with Marla, our breaths heavy.

"Are you two out of your minds?!" Clint's eyes looked like they were about to burst out of their sockets, arm themselves with mini-guns and shoot us down. My flames died out and Will's moon-blade disappeared. "Please tell me just HOW does simple sparring become a fight to the death?!"

Although I had nothing to say, Will said something that made me wish he hadn't spoken at all : "It's Alex's fault..."

I rolled my eyes and softly clapped my hands twice in sarcastic congratulations. "Nicely done, William; blame the pyro."

"That PYRO can't think about anyone but himself!" he replied.

"That's a really bisexual way of thinking." I said.

"Why bisexual?" he asked.

"Because it goes both ways." I answered. Marla couldn't help letting a smile slip by, even though she looked worried.

Clint just seemed more annoyed. "I don't care how, or why you both harbor such anger for each other. You should both be aware that we don't have time for petty quarrels. We've got enough problems with training and Bob without you two trying to kill each other."

William protested : "But it's..."

"Both your fault." Clint interrupted. "One for being out of line, the other for caring. Now why don't you talk it out like the men you're going to be for the next eternity instead of acting like savages!"

He was right. Even if Will was being a douche, I had no reason to give a damn.

"Although..." Clint continued, "you both demonstrated skills with your weapons that went beyond my expectations. Practice is necessary for such skill, but fighting with such bloodlust forces it out a little faster; you should save that for the enemy nonetheless."

A small shred of pride was in the air. It HAD been a thrilling fight. If it hadn't been for the killing intent, I would've really enjoyed it.

"We're going to rest for now." Clint said. "We'll do something else later." He turned his back to us and went to sit down far away.

Marla walked to me. She had been worried all this time. "Was this because of me?" She asked me.

"Well, Will and I kind of had this going for a long while. But I was also fighting because he had been rude to you."

"Aww, you were fighting for me." She seemed touched, but then she shook her head. "No, wait, trying to kill for me; that's bad." She looked at me out of the corner of her eye. "...Thanks anyway."

I smiled and was greeted soon after by the gust of wind created by Will taking off. I had almost forgotten about him, I guess he didn't like our conversation.

Marla watched him fly off. "I agree with Clint though. You two would be much better off as friends."

I sighed. "I'm completely lost on how to go about changing an enemy into a friend though. Maybe I should start by asking Clint for advice."