The Ancient Guardians (Chapter 16)

THE ANCIENT GUARDIANS

Chapter 16

Suddenly, it wasn't dark, as it should be. Everything was brightened by fire. Fire everywhere. Then, in the middle, or what seemed to be centered, the fire dissipated bit by bit, revealing a path of hot coals. This was all a bit too familiar. I felt my body again. I started walking down the path, having a sense of déjà-vu. I walked and walked forever. Then I felt like I should stop, so I did. It seemed like a giant heart pulsed, making the flames move on either side. I waited, expecting something. A light appeared further down. Like a lamplight down the road, or car's headlights in the distance. I felt like saying something, but I didn't know what, so I waited. The light pulsed. I still waited. It pulsed harder than before, then again harder, and harder...

I woke up again, back in my little bed...of hot red coals (after a sleep or two they kind of mould to your shape like memory foam, it's actually quite comfortable now). My body was steaming, just like last time. This definitely wasn't a normal dream. I've had dreams that came back a couple times before, but this was something else. I sat up, feeling like drinking some water. However: no water. I lit the fireplace and 'ate' breakfast. I heard Clint waking up Will, then Marla with a stomp; probably because she couldn't hear underwater. Next thing I know, Clint was at my door.

"Oh, good. You're already awake." He said. "Get ready and come outside in 15 minutes."

"Alright." And with that he left to wait for us. I stood up, stretched a little, and walked out of my room. I saw Marla coming out of hers at the same time, her hair still wet. "So how's sleeping underwater?" I asked her as we walked towards the ladder.

"Like sleeping in a dream box." She answered. "How're the coals?"

"They're actually not that bad. Kind of comfy."

"Do you think the training will be hard?"

"As hard as it has to be." I told her. Then, Marla and I climbed the ladder to go outside, me first and Marla behind me. It was warm and sunny outside, about early morning. We both got out of the hole and saw Clint waiting crossed-legged not far from us. William was flying a little ways off. Clint noticed us and beckoned us over. "Didn't you just wake William?" I asked him when we were beside him.

"I wanted to," he said. "but he was already out here." Then he got up and called William over.

Will turned over in the air and came back toward us. Then, he landed beside us with a gust of wind.

Clint looked at each of us. "Alright, let's begin. First things first: make a weapon. I'll teach you all to make yourselves weapons from your elements fast, like this." He shoved his hand through the ground and instantly pulled out a sword. "For example: combining the minerals in the earth to make this metal sword and using rock for the hilt." He said as he showed it to us in detail; it was perfectly made in every aspect. "William, what will you use as base?"

"Only thing I can think of is concentrated high winds." Will told him.

"Good, figure out how to mould them into a useful shape." Clint continued. "And you, Marla?"

"Iron solid ice, I guess." She answered.

"Perfect." Clint responded. "However, for you Alex, since fire can't become solid, I have no idea what to do for now."

"I know, hold on." I said. I went back into the hole and a few moments later, I came back with the pair of claws I had found in my room. I showed them to Clint and his eyes widened.

"This couldn't be..." He took the claws in his hands and felt the metal. "This is tungsten metal. You found tungsten metal claws attached to fireproof gloves in your room?"

"I guess, but what's tungsten metal?" I asked.

"It's the strongest metal in the world. It's even harder than titanium. I'm guessing the last Guardian of Fire had the same problem you have now."

"Cool, I can sit out on this lesson then." I exclaimed.

"Yes." He continued. "But, before we start working on the weapons, I'll tell you what I found out in those bookshelves. They're compiled information made by the last guardians, they tell us about us, our powers and every other thing we don't yet know. In the one I read yesterday, I found what exactly are the changes to our bodies. I'm strong, as hard as rock and virtually invulnerable. William obviously has wings and he's extremely light. Alex's body temperature varies in numbers over 100 degrees Celsius and he's super agile. And Marla's body temperature always nears 0 degrees Celsius and she can breathe underwater."

"We already knew most of that." Will said.

"Wait, what do you mean I'm super agile?" I asked Clint.

"It means what it is; your agility's through the roof. Try jumping as high as you can." Clint answered.

I didn't quite know what he was going for. I bent my knees and jumped as high as I could. Suddenly, the scenery turned from ground to sky, then I looked down and saw that I was about 30 feet high. I was a bit shocked and wondered if I'd land without hurting myself, but when I did I didn't feel a thing. "Wow! This is amazing!"

"Indeed." Clint continued. "What I also found in the book, which we don't know, is that we don't just control the elements, we are the elements themselves. That's why we can feel them from far away. We aren't just some guardians. We are Earth, Fire, Wind and Water incarnated."

This stuff was deep. I kind of figured it out before-hand, but I couldn't pinpoint it. William and Marla both looked thoughtful.

"Alright." Clint suddenly said. "Enough of this, let's get started on those weapons for you two." He pointed Marla and William. "First think of what kind of weapon you want to make."

I edged out and stayed out of their way during their lesson. I was anxious to try out my new abilities. I really liked the jumping part and spent most of the time doing that, trying to see how far I could go and what maneuvers I could do in the air. I could also run fast without exhausting myself, land perfectly from great heights and handstand for over 20 minutes. I went back and checked on Marla and Will from time to time. I saw Will struggling to make a moon-shaped weapon from concentrated winds. I saw Clint show Marla how to make a good sword and a useful shield to go with it, and teaching her how important the weight was for different parts of them. It was to be expected since Clint used to be a blacksmith, which was also why he could make his sword so fast and perfect. Later on there was a session of just making them appear as fast as possible, which was pathetically slow compared to Clint's speed. William had decided to make some kind of a moon-shaped weapon that was as long as his body. At the end of the day, both of them were exhausted as Clint was getting impatient at their slowness. Clint decided to end it for today so they could sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Walking on my hands, I joined them as they were heading back to the hole. "Looks like it was rough." I said.

"Like hell it was." Will answered.

"Who would've thought making a sword was so complicated." Marla joined in. "And he does one in a flash."

"On the other hand," I continued. "I could get used to this. Although I'm kind of leaving marks on the grass."

"How is it to be so agile?" Marla asked.

I spun in a 360 on one hand and pushed myself on my bare feet with the same one. "Simply awesome."

"That's nice." Marla said, smiling at me.

I smiled back at her. I wish I could do something more to comfort her, though. William was just looking at us from the corner of his eye. I'm guessing Clint will find something else for me to do tomorrow, I'll just have to wait and see. With all this, our first day of training ended, with the moon already high in the sky.