The First Ancient Guardians (Part 2)

THE FIRST ANCIENT GUARDIANS

Part 2 - 23 B.C. 6 months later

“SEE HERE! People, SEE THIS MAN! This BIG and STRONG man!” Chrysanthos showed himself off as I presented him, straightening his back to his full height. “He stands here as tall as a doorway! Just with a glance you can tell he’s a descendant of Hercules!” Our little show was taking place beside an unfinished house, which was perfect for what I had planned. “This man could be YOURS! People. If you are cunning enough YOU could be the lucky master of this slave. We’re literally GIVING him away! ALTHOUGH FIRST you must try to recognize his power with your eyes! You must bet ON HIS STRENGTH! Just HOW strong do you think he is?! NOW SEE HERE!” I pointed towards a circle we had drawn in the dirt, beside which Winoc was sitting. “Once the person who names the HIGHEST price is chosen, he will put his bet IN this circle! THEN! THAT PERSON will CHOOSE a suitable block of stone behind us! And IF THIS SLAVE cannot LIFT that stone; the person will take BACK what is in the circle and become this slave’s new MASTER! IN OTHER WORDS: IF your bet is correct, you will have won this slave for FREE!” At that moment there were a few enthusiastic whispers in the crowd. “If you are WRONG though, your bet will STAY in the circle, and we will proceed with ANOTHER bet! SO, will you WAIT to see what he can do?! Or will you take a chance to WIN HIM before someone ELSE?!” With my experience in the Athenian political assemblies, convincing the crowd was easy. Already some were discussing their prices. “NOW! NAME YOUR FIRST PRICE!”

The crowd suddenly got restless. Who would speak first? One man raised his hand in the middle, saying: “30 mina!” Another suddenly on the left. “2 talents!”(1 talent = 60 mina) Then one in front. “10 talents!” The crowd only whispered.

“10 talents?!” I said. “Does anyone have a higher price?” Silence. “My good man, you are CHOSEN!” I gestured for the man to come forward. He didn’t wear a robe, so I had to assume he was just a poor little man hoping for a break. “Now put the talents in the circle and choose your stone!”

The man shyly came towards Winoc and dropped the ten pieces into the circle. Then he took a simple look towards the stones and pointed at the biggest one he could see. “I-I choose this one!”

I went to the stone he pointed and put my hand on it. “This stone?” It was at the level of my chest, and just as wide, but for Chrysanthos it only got up to his hip.

“Yes, that’s right.” The poor man answered.

I nodded and called Chrysanthos over. “NOW SEE HERE! THE MOMENT OF TRUTH!”

Chrysanthos grabbed both sides of the stone. He faked a little struggle and by just straightening his back the rock lifted off the ground like a piece of wood. The crowd gasped and the poor man was astonished. Chrysanthos pulled the stone over his head, roared and threw it to the ground, the slam surprising the crowd.

I looked at the man who had bet the talents. “My apologies, but it seems your bet was wrong!”

He had a sad look in his eyes. He slowly left towards the road, the silent crowd heightening the clacking sound of his sandals.

I let a few moments pass for the people to come back to their senses. They started whispering. Just as I was about to resume I noticed Winoc about to take the 10 talents from the circle to put them into a pouch and came up with a brilliant idea. “WAIT!” I raised my hand to stop Winoc from taking the talents. His hand froze over them. “Leave them there!” Winoc’s hooded form seemed shocked. Well, he never seems like anything but I could almost see a difference in his face so I assumed he was shocked. The crowd had also become silent. “NOW it becomes interesting! NOW if you WIN the slave, NOT ONLY do you take your bet BACK, you also take the PREVIOUS BETS! NOW you get the slave AND the talents!” The crowd let out a few ‘Oh’s’ and became more frivolous than before. Winoc nodded and took his hand away, finding the idea to his liking.