Chapter 1

One summer morning in Seoul, South Korea, Leetuek awoke and stretched as he sat up and looked down at his partner sleeping next to him. Leeteuk had gotten married to his boyfriend Kangin three years ago, and the two of them had recently discussed starting a family together. Smiling, Leeteuk got up out of bed and headed downstairs to the kitchen to begin to cook breakfast for his spouse. Kangin woke a few minutes later and met Leeteuk in the kitchen. “Good morning love,” he said as he kissed Leeteuk’s cheek and hugged his waist.

          “Morning,” Leeteuk responded with a smile as he kissed Kangin back.

          “Are you nervous?” Kangin asked as the two of them sat down and started eating.

          “Yeah I am, what if they don’t like us though,” Leeteuk wondered.

          Kangin took his hand and promised “Don’t worry, they’ll love you, cuz you’ll be the best mother they’ve ever had.” Leeteuk smiled at his partner as they finished their breakfast.

          Later that morning, Leeteuk and Kangin drove over to the Seoul Boys Home, where they met with the caregiver of the boys, Zhou Mi. “Hello, you must be Leeteuk and Kangin,” he stated as he shook their hands.

          “Yes, you must be Zhou Mi. We’re here to learn more about the boys we’ve chosen,” Kangin explained.

          “Yes, let’s go into my office and talk more,” Zhou Mi offered. The three walked in and sat down at Zhou Mi’s desk. The man took out four files from his cabinet and laid them in front of Leeteuk and Kangin.

          Leeteuk flipped through one file and asked “So tell me a little more about Yesung. It says here that he witnessed a death?”

          “Yes, when he was five years old, Yesung witnessed the death of his younger sister and parents when their car crashed. He’s been here with us for eleven years,” Zhou Mi explained. “He’s been bonding closest with Sungmin and Donghae; they’ve been through similar trauma. Donghae was abandoned when he was born, and has been here for seventeen years, and Sungmin was emotionally abused by his parents before being placed here when he was eleven. He’s been left so emotionally scarred that he hasn’t said more than a handful of words in the five years he’s been here.”

          Kangin took the last file and asked “What about this one?”

          Zhou Mi looked at it and sighed. “Kim Heechul, he’s been a handful ever since he arrived here.”

          “Why, what happened?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “Like Sungmin, he came from an abusive home, only his was far worse. Heechul was not only abused emotionally, but physically, sexually, mentally, and he’s lashed out at anyone who tries to get near him. Heechul has an extremely hard time trusting people, and prefers to be in solitude most of his time.”

          “Oh my God,” Leeteuk muttered as he covered his mouth. Kangin took Leeteuk’s hand and smiled at his partner.

          “It’ll be okay, he’ll be with us, and we’ll take care of him. We’ll take care of all of them,” Kangin promised.

          Zhou Mi grinned at the couple before they stood up. “I’ll take you to meet the boys,” he stated.

          After leading them down a hallway, Zhou Mi opened the shades to look into the boys’ dormitory. Looking inside, they found Yesung and Sungmin playing videogames, Donghae reading on his bed, but Heechul was nowhere to be found. “That’s strange, the boys are supposed to be in their rooms after lunch, but Heechul’s gone,” Zhou Mi said before opening the door. “Boys, where’s Heechul gone to?”