Chapter Four

Angela 

Even though his mother told me to 'make myself at home,' I wasn't sure that I'd be able to achieve that. I was feeling far from at home. All I wanted to be was at home. I appreciate everything that Dr. Graham has done for me and has been doing for me, but sometimes I feel like his ideas sound way better in his head than in reality. He said that his mother wouldn't mind though it's obvious that she actually did. Guilt instantly took over every inch of my body. I knew that I shouldn't have told him - he's probably just going to make matters worse despite all my warnings. Hopefully he doesn't; if he does, I really will lose all respect for him.

I sighed took a seat on one of the leather couches. Her house was actually really nice, I'll give her that. If her house it as nice as it is, I can only wonder what Dr. Graham's house is like. I bet his girlfriend decorated it for him; last time I checked, things with him and his girl were getting really serious. It'd be a shame if they broke up. I thought they were a nice couple. Whenever I would come into the office, he would tell me what's been going on with them. Even if they did break up, I'm sure he has a new girlfriend. I've seen the way he talks to some of his patients.

The sound of the door closing broke my train of thought. Light footsteps coming my way made me straighten up, as if I were meeting the President or something. She smiled sweetly at me before taking a seat on one of the other couches. An awkward silence filled the room; as much as I didn't want to talk, I knew she would make me. It looked as if she was thinking hard to find something to say. I decided to just break the ice. "I don't really know what to say," I laughed slightly. "Thank you for taking me in. I really like your home, it's lovely."

She smiled, a smile that told me she was relieved. "Thank you. May I ask why my son dropped you off on my doorstep, though?" she asked. Her voice was soft and sweet - it reminded me of my mother's on a good day.

I looked down at my fingers and started to play with them. I wanted to tell her but at the same time, I was a little apprehensive. I've never met her in my life, so it really is putting my trust in the hands of a stranger. Whatever, she looks trustworthy. "My dad," I started. "He, uhm, he beats me... And I called your son because I really had no one else to call."

"Wow," she said, her eyes were wide. "I am so sorry. I didn't think you were going to say that. Do you need anything? Ice or anything?"

I laughed a little bit and shook my head. "No, I'm okay, thank you."

"Has Aubrey done anything about it?" she asked, an eyebrow raised.

I shook my head but quickly nodded it afterwards. "Yes and no. He really wants to call CPS, but I told him not to. I don't want to make things worse than they already are."

She nodded as if she really understood where I was coming from. "I'm sorry to hear about that, sweetheart. I'm sure that if you just let him contact them, they'll really be able to help you out," she consoled.

I shook my head again. "I know, but I really can't let that happen. My family would be so upset with me."

"But your safety has to come first."

"I've learned to put up with it."

There was another silence, but this time it wasn't awkward. "You know, this is partly why I think my son absolutely adores his job."

"Because he has to deal with patients who have more problems then a math book?" I asked, an eyebrow raised.

She got a laugh out of that one. She patted my knee and shook her head. "No," she said. "I think it's because he gets to help people out. Like you. I don't think he imagined doing something like this for a patient, but he loves to help out in anyway he can. Even if it's something as crazy as this."

"I sure hope so. I'd hate to put him through more trouble than he needs to go through."

She shook her head. "I'm sure that you aren't... If you were, he would have said something by now. It's interesting he cares so much about you, though, I have to say."

I didn't know if she was implying something or not... Probably not. "I'm not sure, either. It's nice, though. It's been awhile since I've had this kind of attention," I told her.

Nice doesn't even begin to describe how good it feels to know that someone, even if it is your doctor, cares about you.

x x x x x x x x x

Someone started rubbing my shoulder and I sheepishly rubbed my eyes. My eyes got wide when I saw someone I didn't recognize, but then the events from the day before started running through my mind. "It's time for school, sweetheart," Mrs. Graham said. Her voice was still soft and sweet despite it being only six in the morning.

"Okay," I said, my voice hoarse.

She started walking towards the door but before she got all the way out, she turned around and looked at me. "I have some clothes you could try on if you'd like to try them out," she said. "There are towels right there so you can take a shower."

I smiled at her and nodded my head. "Okay. Thank you."

When she closed the door, I laid in my bed and checked my phone. A lot of missed calls from my dad. Shit. I'm definitely going to be in a bunch of trouble when I get home. Hopefully he forgets all about it by the time I'm done with school. Unlikely, though. I sighed and grabbed the towels so I could take a quick shower.

Once I got out, there were some clothes laid out on the bed for me. I walked over to the bed and looked at the sizes. They were all a size too small for me, but I figured that I could squeeze into them. Wouldn't hurt. I put a pair of light blue jeans on and threw on the plain white shirt she set out for me. I thought I looked fine. As fine as I could be. Since I didn't get my hair wet, I just ran my fingers through it and then fixed the smeared makeup. By the time I was done with everything, it was time to go.

I slipped my black Chucks on and then grabbed my bag before throwing my sweatshirt on. Can't risk anyone seeing the bruises and marks. When I opened the door, Sandi was just about to knock. She smiled but frowned at me when she saw my outfit. "Are you sure you want to wear that out?" she asked.

"Yes."

"It's going to be warm today, though."

"I'll be fine."

"Okay." She grabbed her keys and motioned for me to come on. We got out to her car and then she started it up. I really don't want to go today, but I have to otherwise they'll call home and I'll get into even more trouble. I wish I could skip school or something and my parents wouldn't care. Why couldn't I be blessed with parents like that?

I sighed when she pulled up in front of the school. "He wants you to go to his office after school," she said right as I was about to get out.

"Oh, okay." I wanted to know why, but I didn't question anything. I knew it would be for the best. Here we go...