Chapter Eight

Edmund pulled up outside of the office block, the building was new and the front was almost entirely made of glass which shimmered in the afternoon sun. As he waited, he saw Edith come out of the building with a few other women, all of them laughing. He waved his hand catching the attention of the other women who all waved back.

"Thank you for saving me." Edith smiled, climbing into the passenger seat before waving again at the women who were laughing as they walked away. "I owe you one for this."

"You're not making tonight sound fun." He sighed, enjoying the sound of her laugh and her presence in the car. "You look nice."

"You flatter." She laughed, turning her body towards him as she crossed her ankles. "But thank you, I always feel I have to make an effort for them."

"They're family, they love you."

"I'm the one they don't see and they make sure I know it." She muttered, "My Dad has two other daughters, they're perfect and can do nothing wrong."

"You've never mentioned them before."

"I don't know them." She shrugged, "I don't know which one is which; one is Sarah and the other is Jordan."

"So loving." He laughed as she smirked at him.

"You know might accidentally touch me, especially at dinner." She teased.

"We'll cross that bridge if we get to it." He shrugged, suddenly nervous about the evening.

"Chill out Ed, it's not the end of the world if you accidentally touch me."

"You'll see." He sighed, glaring at her. "Now is not a good time to test the theory, trust me."

"Fine." She sighed, leaning back into the seat and watching the road. "I won't throw myself at you."

"Thank you." Edmund smiled, turning onto a street not too far from her office. "Is it here?!"

"Yes, the house with the big red estate outside."

"You work so close." He laughed.

"Don't tell them, they think I work on the other side of the city."

"With bad traffic it is about an hour from home, maybe an hour and a half." Edmund laughed, parking the car easily in the drive. "Even further from my house."

"And my Dad lives about two hours in the other direction!" she grinned, unclipping her seat belt. "I would hold your hand, but I promised not to throw myself at you."

"Come on, I'll talk about my travels."

"Why thank you." She laughed.

The front door was thrown open as they climbed out of the car, Edmund smiled at the elderly woman who was standing with her arms crossed over her chest. Her hair was still dark despite a few grey streaks running through it and she had a wooden spoon in her hand.

"What time do you call this?" she asked as Edith stepped forwards.

"I told you I work on the other side of the city." Edith said, hugging the small woman. "Hello Grandma, Grae couldn't make it so Ed's come with me."

"What's that thing on your face?" she asked, turning him around. "You're far too tall."

"Nice to meet you." He smiled, "I can see where Edie gets her bluntness from."

"I told him it looks like a dead cat." Edith nodded, "Although I like it now."

"So it stays." He smiled, taking his coat off. "It smells lovely."

"As it should." She said, looking up at him suspiciously. "What are you up to?"

"Making Edith's family fall in love with me so my life will be easier." He smiled; Edith's grandma huffed and returned to the kitchen.

Edmund hadn't met Edith's dad before and although he knew she was mixed race, he'd never quite realised her dad was black. He held similar features to her, although hers were warped with her mother's imprint. Such as her eyes, they were as dark as her fathers, but had the roundness of her mothers. He wasn't a tall man either, which surprised him because Elisha and Edith were both quite tall.

"Hi, I'm Edmund." He smiled, offering his hand for him to shake.

"Roger." He smiled, "I've not heard of you before."

"I've just returned from travelling; I'm a food journalist."

"You're more than welcome here then." He laughed, "These are my other daughters Sarah and Jordan."

Edmund smiled as he looked at the two teenage girls, both wore white tee shirts and dark jeans, they had the same smile, the same eyes; the only difference was their hair; one had her hair in natural curls while the other had hers straight. Roger hadn't indicated which girl was which and Edith had already admitted they were one person to her.

"Are you Edith's boyfriend?" The curly haired sister asked.

"Is it because you both have awful names?" the other added.

"We've known each other for years, almost grew up together." He smiled as he felt Edith come up behind him, keeping her promise of not touching him.

"We're just friends." She stated, stressing the word just.

"How's that mother of yours?" Roger asked, returning to his seat in an armchair. "Still a tyrant?"

"Naturally, I'd worry if she wasn't." Edith smiled, sitting on the sofa allowing Edmund to have the other arm chair to himself. "Flora's having a litter of kittens, I know she hates you but she'd still let you have one, you did buy her Flora."

"I bought you Flora." Roger corrected, "Damn creatures just loved her more."

"Can I have a kitten?" The straight haired sister asked.

"No, because they all come with awful names." Edith pouted.

"Dad!" She whined as Roger laughed.

"You asked for that one Jordan." He smirked, "You know Edith gives ten times what you can."

"It's because she's a bitch."

"W" Edith said, "W, it's W for witch."

"Not that you know how to use it." Edmund muttered earning a glare as he felt her magic press against him. If she continued that way, she might realise what they were too. "Stop it."

"You know too?" Roger asked in surprise.

"I am too." He nodded.

"He's Grae's older brother." Edith explained and Roger nodding knowingly. "He's looking after the school disco and no I'm not going to marry him, before you can even open your mouth."

"Feisty." Roger said, nodding his approval. "That's my girl."

"How old are you Edmund?" Sarah asked breaking the silence they'd fallen into.

"Almost thirty one."

"That's like, twice my age!" she gasped, looking in horror to her almost twin.

"That is so old." She agreed.

"They're fifteen and seventeen." Roger explained.

"You're not as funny as Grae." Jordan sighed, "Or as good looking."

"It's a good thing I'm old then." Edmund smiled, looking to Edith who was biting her lip to stop the laughter.

"You're even too old for Edith."

"No he's not." She laughed before realising what she'd said. "Six years isn't that different once you get into your twenties."

"And not having children keeps you young." Roger nodded, looking up as his mother came into the living room. "Can I help at all, Mum?"

"I want a maid." She snapped, "These girls of yours are useless, these two can't cook an egg and that one's never here."

"I'll finish then." Edith said, leaning over and stealing the wooden spoon from her grandmother. "Ed want to help?"