"They're waiting for you."

I crouched down beside her and whispered, "Who's waiting for me?"

Before I could process what was happening, she began to change. Her glossy hair grew longer and turned into a brittle gray. Her small body became tall and hunched, and her soft blue eyes turned dark and lifeless.

Her body curled above mine and she smiled the most terrifying smile I had ever seen. Yellowed and cracked teeth clenched together as her lips curved inward.

"We are."

My eyes shot open as I screamed bloody murder at the top of my lungs. I threw the bed sheets off my body and ran to the nearest light switch in the pitch-black room. As soon as the room brightened I searched it from top to bottom, hoping and praying I wouldn't find whatever or whoever I saw in that nightmare.

When the room came up empty, I let out a heavy breath and pushed my back up against the wall causing a very loud "thunk". I slid down until my butt hit the floor and pulled myself into a tight ball. I refused to move until I could calm my breathing down.

As soon as I felt myself begin to feel calm, I pulled myself up and walked into the bathroom. I turned the light on and faced the large mirror across from me. My skin was pale and clammy, a few drops of sweat threatened to fall down the sides of my face from my hairline. I turned the tap on and splashed my face with some cold water, hoping it would take me out of my somewhat frazzled state.

A light knock at my door made my blood run cold.

I turned the tap off and tip-toed toward the door. A shadow of two feet seeped from underneath the doorway from the lit hallway outside. Another knock made me jump.

"Charlie? Are you in there? I thought I heard something come from your room."

I sighed a breath of relief, I knew that voice from anywhere.

I swung the door open to be met by a very tired and dishevelled Zak. As soon as he saw me he let out a breath.

"Is everything okay? I heard some commotion, I thought I better come check to see what was going on." He peaked around my shoulder to look inside the room. His eyebrows furrowed when he noticed the blankets and pillows had been thrown across the room.

I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand and yawned. "Yeah everything is okay, I had a nightmare, that's all. Nothing to be too worried about. I'm fine now."

Zak gave me a look I couldn't quite read. "Are you sure? Do you want to talk about it at all?"

I shook my head and faked a smile. "I can't even remember what it was about."

He gave me a concerned look and I sighed, "Really, I'm fine."

Now it was his turn to sigh. "Okay, okay. You know that if you need anything you give me a shout and I'll come running, right?"

I nodded and gave a small smile. "I know, and I will."

He nodded and started to walk away, but before he opened his door I popped my head into the hallway.

"You're a good dad, Zak. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself."

He let out a light laugh, "Goodnight Charlie."

"Goodnight Zak."

~~~~~~~~~~~

I never went back to sleep.

From four a.m. until seven, I either watched TV or played on my phone until it was time to get dressed for the day. I couldn't bring myself to go back to sleep after what had happened.