Chapter 3: Built Up Tensions

Start from the beginning

"Why, did you get yourself arrested?" she answered jokingly.

"No," I replied in an annoyed tone, "it was your friend."

"Yeah, I know, Sandra was on tv, she told me about it after yoga class yesterday. It's amazing how successful she is, given that she is only a few years older than me."

"How old is she, exactly?"

"Twenty-seven, why? Wondering if it's okay to bang her?"

I mock gasped. "Angela how dare you think so lowly of me?"

"That wasn't low for you."

I giggled, "maybe so. But I can't anyway, she's my doctor, and she claims to be straight."

"Only one way to find out."

"Yeah, I don't think so."

"Alright, then I still need to get you a girlfriend. On that note, please refrain from punching people who sleep with you."

"I don't need a girlfriend."

"Says you. I gotta go, some of us have jobs."

"Alright, see you later I guess."

"Bye, Kat."

I heard the click of her hanging up, and decided to kill time by reading, since apparently the tv wasn't safe from Dr. Cortez's haunting image.

About an hour later, my aunt was practically kicking me out of the house. I drove around the block a few times, wondering whether I should skip the appointment, but Dr. Cortez would just either call Angela or my aunt, so I was better off going.

Once inside the office, there was an awkward silence while Dr. Cortez absentmindely tapped her pad with a pen and bit her lip.

After a few more excruciating moments of this, she finally asked, "So, Angela told me you assaulted someone at a bar?"

"Oh, please, assaulted? i just punched her, and it's not like she didn't deserve it."

"Well, what do you think the world would be like if everyone went around punching people who deserve it?"

"Awesome."

She pinched the bridge of her nose, "No. Not awesome. That is not what I was going for."

"Fun."

"Wrong again."

"Justice...ful."

She chuckled, "That's not a word."

I smiled at the sight and sound of her laugh, "Fine, it would be chaotic, but every once in a while some people do need to get punched in the face so the world's balance can be maintained."

"World balance, huh?"

"Yes, important stuff."

"I believe you just made that up."

"You can't prove I did that."

Smiling, she said, "What exactly did she do to deserve it?"

At that, I just shrugged, and there it was again, that awkward silence.

I decided to slice through the palpable tension by saying, "I saw you on tv this morning. Are you famous now?"

She chuckled again, "Hardly. My dad kinda is though."

"So he's like a Sigmund Freud of modern times?"

"Something like that."

I tapped my fingers slowly on the couch, "You said you don't believe in pills though. So you won't give me any drugs. Bummer. Just when I thought I could finally get something out of this."

She frowned, "You might get the help you need if you opened up to me. Besides, I'm a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, I don't have the licence to medicate."

"What makes you think I need any help?"

"Your friends and family seem to think so."

"What if they're just overreacting?"

"Clearly... They're worried about something. And unless you tell me what it is we won't make any progress."

"What if I want to open up to you in more ways than one?" I said with a suggestive wink.

She glared at me, but i couldn't miss her slight blush, "I thought we agreed no more flirting or I'll refer you to someone else."

"Who said I was flirting? It's you who thought something of it. Dirty mind, have we?"

She scoffed, "Why are you making this so difficult?"

I stood up and closed the distance between us, "Why are you so worried about flirting if you're so... straight."

I managed to say the last word sensually in a whisper, wile my lips were dangerously close to hers.

She stuttered through her words, "B-because it's unprofessional."

"You're the professional, not me, " I replied as I casually ran my fingers up her thigh.

There was a glazed look in her eyes for a few seconds, and I could even swear she was closing the space between us, but she quickly composed herself and stood up with a jolt, patting her skirt down.

"I think we're done for today."

I blocked her way to the door, "Oh come on, you're not a grumpy ol' prude, are you? Take it as a compliment. I wouldn't be hitting on you if I didn't find you extremely attractive. I promise it's not to annoy you. At least not that part," I said with a smirk, "not that much anyway."

"Either way, you should take no for an answer. Otherwise you're harassing me. And it's my job on the line."

"It's not harassment if you enjoy it," I sang under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Oh, nothing, fine, I'm sorry."

Her eyes were darting across the room to avoid meeting mine, "You should go."

I grabbed her wrist gently, "Come on, I said I was sorry."

She didn't move to take it back, instead she just looked down sadly, "Please."

I let her go, "Okay," I kissed her on the cheek and added, "Bye," softly.

She looked up at me in surprise as I walked away.

Before leaving I took one last look at her, and I could see her holding a hand to her cheek through the crack on the closing door.

I smiled sadly. So much for that.