Chapter 3: Built Up Tensions

I must have been staring at the ceiling for at least an hour before I finally managed to fall asleep. The next morning, my aunt woke me to tell me she'd set up an emergency appointment with Dr. Cortez since Angela had told her what happened the night before.

I sighed and slipped into something comfortable, agreeing reluctanctly without bothering to put up a fight. I wasn't in the mood to talk about it.

After absentmindedly applying some makeup and brushing my hair, I went downstairs for breakfast, "How long do I have?"

Aunt Linda gave me a questioning look while serving me a bowl of cereal, she really wasn't the best cook,"How long do you have for what?"

"Before the appointment."

"About an hour. Jeez, Kat, you make it sound like you're asking how much you have left to live."

I shrugged and ate my cereal silently.

Aunt Linda kept staring at me with her arms crossed, "Are you going to tell me what happened?"

As an answer, I got up and took my cereal bowl with me to the living room, where I switched on the tv. To my surprise, there was a familiar face on the morning news.

A female news anchor spoke eagerly next toa a video still of the beautiful woman, "Now for our positive news for the day: up-and-coming young psychologist Sandra Cortez, daughter of world renowned psychiatrist, Gilberto Cortez, has opened up a private practice here in San Francisco after spending a year doing charity work abroad. Yesterday we managed to get a quick exclusive with her, let's see what she has to say."

The video zoomed in to fill the screen and played, Dr. Cortez looked amazing, like she belonged behind the camera, and seemed very happy to be talking to the reporter.

"What kind of work did you do before deciding to open up your own clinic?"

Her hazel eyes met the camera and I wondered if I would ever escape them, "I did a lot of practice with under my father's colleagues' supervision during my last years of university. I got to work with many different types of people, knowing that not all of them could afford the treatment they needed. This is why I decided to take a year to do community work before opening up the clinic. I treated patients of all ages along with a group of other psychologists, mostly in South America, although we did do some work in Europe and South Africa, I found that South America had the most young people in peril, so decided to stay there helping children and young adults with their daily struggles. Most of us do not realize how lucky we are to have friends and family to help us, and to be able to afford food, shelter, and medicine when we need it. These things we take for granted while they wish they could have at least part of what we have. I traveled with a group of volunteer offering physical and mental health services to people from certain lower class villages, and I hope this encourages other professionals to do similar things in their respective areas of work."

The male reporter looked smitten with her, and that made me feel a little jealous, "Was your father your inspiration to become a psychologist?"

"Yes, I have to admit that watching him make a difference inspired me, in a way, to do the same, but I do not believe in prescribing drugs as much as he does, so I will try to make a change through therapy."

After that, the screen switched back to the news anchor, who gave a short summary of what Dr. Cortez said and offered her opinion about it.

I quickly turned the tv off and went upstairs to get my phone, dialing Angie's number.

She answered after a few rings, "Kat, are you okay? What happened last night?"

"Not what I want to talk about, did you see the news segment just now?"