16. In a Rush

Minutes passed.

You couldn't move and barely breathed. Soon enough, you got dizzy. Your hand cramped more and more around Gilbert's.

He said something, tried to get you on your feet again, but you weren't able to follow him at all.

"Anne....NO"

You stared at him. He wasn't awake.

Anne... Like...

Anne Sinclair?

Everything that had happened replayed in your head.

"Wait!" You shouted, "Are you meeting someone?"

He shook his head. "I don't think you could call this 'meeting someone'."

It hit you hard.

"Darling. I wasn't seeing another woman. Well, not really."

His glance wandered to the window.

"What do you mean, not really?"

Because she's dead.

In a second you stood up again.

You gazed at Gilbert. God, was he confused... and worried.

"We need to go."

He sighed in relief.

"Let's go back to the oth-" The raven haired man smiled, you interrupted him.

"No, I need to go back home. Now."

You let him go and started to run. As fast as you could, trying hard not to get lost in the large area. Speeding up more and more, you passed the others. They stared at you, irritation printed on their faces, but you ignored them.

You had to hurry, before it would be to late. A foreboding made your stomach twitch, but you clenched your teeth.

Maybe this would be the last chance to go back to normal. Back to before. Back to happy.

Vsisons blurred your sight, you began to stumble.

"What I did was unforgivable, right?"

Was this about the family's tragedy?

What else did you do, Break?

You stopped for a short moment, when you reached the carriages. After inhaling deeply, you sprinted to the horses and unbinded one from its carriage.

Actually, you had never been really good at riding.

You had had to a lot and you were able to do it too, but you didn't get along with horse too well.

But it didn't matter.

You walked around the carriage to get a saddle, the bridle, a girth etc.

He had been strange yesterday.

"Go now."

His hair covered both of his eyes.

"Huh? Why?"

Why?

After getting it ready, you jumped on the horse's back.

Hurry!

The more you tried to surpress the voices in your head, the more it hurt. So you tried to get even faster. You rushed home and as you arrived, you nearly fell from the large animal.

With weak knees and unsteady steps you stumbled to the door, which was immediately opened for you.

You recognized the new blonde servant. She mustered you with big eyes.

Completely out of breath, you let out a still energetic

"Where is he?"

In response, she just pressed her plump lips into thin line.

You bolted past her and up the stairs to his room. Not bothering to knock anymore, you pushed the door and literally fell into the chamber.

Silence.

What?

Why did it look so empty and dead?

Everything was in its place.

The bed was made.

The window was closed.

But there was no Break.

Your heart stopped to beat.

On the neat bed lay a note, you went to pick it up.

Farewell, love.

It took you a while to figure the simple message out. But when you got it, your world broke down.

No.

No, you couldn't believe this.

This must be one of his sick jokes.

Of course, one second later he'd jump out of his closet and laugh at the expression on your face.

But nothing happened.

You felt tears build up in your eyes, but you didn't move as the hot liquid trickled down your cheek.

He left.

How could he leave.

Just when you thought you'd understand.

He was gone.

You couldn't believe this. You didn't want to.

The silent crying turned into a loud sobbing, your screams filling the whole room.

And in the middle of it, you were on the ground and your heart shattered into pieces.

It seemed like he broke you all over again.