2. Are you lying?

So here's another day
I'll spend away from you
Another night
I'm on another broken avenue
My bag is ripped and worn
But then again so am I
Take what you wanna take

Cross my heart - Marianas Trench

~~~

"Anne....NO"

You stared at him. He wasn't awake.

"Break... spsssshhh... It's alright, I am here, and everything is ok..."

Desperately, you shook him, trying to wake him up, but it didn't work.

"What happened?" You heard Sharon's terrified voice as she entered your room.

"Anne!" Her eyes widened as Break screamed again.

"Sharon, I-" You weren't able to finish your sentence, because Xerxes wrapped his arms around you.

"Break- a-are you alright?" He opened his eye. "Uhhhh"

Then he looked up at you and Sharon. She averted her eyes.

"Why are you so terrified? Did something happen?"

You hugged him and said: "You talked in your sleep, no, you screamed. It was a name: A-"

Sharon - still looking down - interrupted you with a "However, we were worried and since everything is ok now, we should go back to sleep. In our own beds." She gave you a killing glance, leaving you pretty confused.

"Oh, right", Break murmured, "What are you doing in my bed, _________?"

You shoved him away and crossed your arms.

"Well, excuse me? This is my bed. You were the one coming in here, drugged up to the eyeballs and with too many testosterone in your blood."

Break squinted his eyes in confusion, his cheeks slightly blushed. Suddenly, he stood up and whispered: "Sharon's right, I should go now and sleep in my own bed."

Without even looking at you, he went for the door and left. Sharon followed him.

Something didn't feel right. Why was Sharon so shocked when she heard him shouting "Anne"? And why did she stop you from telling it Break? Speaking of him, why was he so confused? Did he really take drugs? Why did he even came here?

Your head was spinning. How late was it again? Maybe it was better not to know. You decided to try to sleep.

~~~

When you woke up, it was already half past eleven. You felt terrible after the last night.

I need something against headache... and something to perk me up..., you thought.

You changed into an old dress, since you didn't want to have breakfast in your night gown. Then you went to the dining room.

Of course everyone had already finished their meal, but Sharon was still sitting there and sipping on her tea cup. She was the only one in the room.

"Oh... you're too early for lunch." She grinned.

"'Morning Sharon...", you murmured and sat down next to her. Maybe it was better to wait half an hour for lunch. Even though you were very hungry...

"Listen, _________, Reim is going to visit us soon." She sounded stressed.

"Why?"

"Well, this Pandora meeting... it's next week, isn't it? Reim is also invited and thought we could go there all together..." Sharon wasn't looking at you. She stared into her cup like she was trying to break it with some kind of supernatural powers.

Something looked terribly fishy.

"Sharon", you interrupted her, "Yesterday, when Break had this nightmare, he was talking about an 'Anne'. Is this a real person? Why did you stop me from telling him what he was screaming?"

Her face went pale. "Uh... I... I didn't stop... Well, at least this wasn't my intention... I was just... in panic... I talked before I could think... I was sooooo worried."

You didn't get it. Why was she lying to you? It was obvious. Anne...? What was the secret behind this name?

The only thing you were able to say was: "Ahhh, of course. I'm sorry."

She nodded while a nervous smile covered her face.

Should you ask Break about this? Or was it better just to forget about this? Surely, this was a misunderstanding.

"Uhm. Talking about Break... Where is he?"

"Oh... He ate very early today. Afterwards, he left."

"Where did he go to?"

Sweat drops glittered on Sharon's forehead. She stood up.

"I don't know... I have to go now too, please excuse me..."

She left you alone.

What kind of strange things were happening here?!

~~~

Break didn't show up at lunch time. You also didn't see him somewhere else and he didn't take part at dinner.

In the evening, you knocked at his door, as you had expected, no one opened.

You wanted to get some fresh air, so you decided to go outside.

When you stood in the garden, you saw two shadows, but you couldn't see something specific. Suddenly, the shadows disappeared and somebody was coming in your direction. You hid behind a bush, but when you saw who was walking there, you jumped out again.

"Break..." you whispered and he turned around.

"_________, what are you doing outside. It's cold." He smiled at you, but you stared right through him.

"Where were you?" Your voice broke.

"Oh, nowhere interesting. Why don't we go inside?"

So he was lying too? Was he trying to keep something from you?

"Do you remember anything about last night?" You asked him with your last sparks of hope.

"What do you mean? Ah... You want me to apologize for becoming closer to you?" He smirked and put one of his arms around your waist. With the other one he was holding a little bag. When he saw you noticing it, he let go of you. His smirk faded.

"What is in there?" You pointed at the bag.

"Sweets, honey." Drugs? His eye looked so sad.

"Xerx..."

"Yes?"

You lifted your head and looked him in the eye.

"You had a nightmare last night... You were screaming..."

"I am sorry darling, but I don't remember." He averted his gaze from you, turned around, grabbed your arm and pulled you with him to the front door.

You freed yourself from his hand.

"Does everyone here think I am stupid?! Don't you think I am able to realize when somebody is lying to me? Maybe it's none of my business, but I am your fiancée! I don't keep secrets from you, so why do you?" You fell to the floor, your eyes got glassy.

"Who is she?" you murmured, looking at the floor again. Something wet made its way across your face, a tear fell down.

Break stopped walking. But he didn't turn around.

"Listen, I don't know." Break's hands were forming fists.

"Anne..." A whisper escaped your lips.

You felt him looking at you. He made a step towards you.

"I... just don't know."

He left.

Tears trickled down your cheeks.

~~~

The next day, Reim arrived. You weren't seeing Break and when you did, you both ignored each other.