xv. the mystery of the irvine lodge

THE MYSTERY OF THE IRVINE LODGE
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The fresh smell of rosewood instantly filled their noses when Olivia pushed open the heavy door

The fresh smell of rosewood instantly filled their noses when Olivia pushed open the heavy door. It slid smoothly over the nicely polished oak plank ground, allowing the six friends to enter easily. As they stepped inside, their eyes were instantly mesmerized by the high ceilings. The planks started all the way from the ground as walls, climbing up until they reached the beginning of the ceiling and then bending to reach a mutual point at its center. The brown leather sofas complemented the architecture of the lodge perfectly, blending in with the early colors around.

"This place is amazing!" Bess was the first to make her way into the living space, her wide bewildered eyes scanning every corner. Olivia chuckled softly as she followed her friend, the smell of leather instantly filling her nose while she placed her backpack onto one of the leather couches that enclosed a small glass coffee table.

Even despite the bright daylight outside shining through the huge windows that covered the entire long wall opposite the door, Olivia struggled to keep her eyes open. As thrilled as she was to be on a getaway with her friends at her family lodge, her heavy limbs and tired muscles were a strong reminder of what they were truly here for.

"Look at this view," Nick's words came out in a sigh as he stepped toward the glass terrace door, admiring the bright blue sky surrounding the tall mountains.

"This place is insane," Ace added, stuffing his hands in his jeans pockets. He made his way toward Olivia between the couches and the fireplace, while the others were focussed on the enchanting view outside the windows.

"Yeah, it's hard to believe a place this nice could have anything to do with a curse," George uttered, shaking her head in disappointment. Her words made Olivia's heart tighten a little, another reminder of what she was going through.

She snapped her head when a soft pressure was placed on her shoulder and smiled softly to see it was Nancy's. "But don't worry; we'll find a way to end this." Olivia nodded gratefully, trying to maintain her smile when all she truly believed was that she was doomed. As much as she didn't want to think that way, she couldn't help the countless doubts swimming in her brain.

"Yeah, there's got to be something here that can help us." Ace reassured, placing his hand on the small of Olivia's back. Olivia appreciated his words of comfort and Nancy's attempts at assuring her that everything would be okay, but a tight tug in her gut was telling her not to get her hopes up. Hope for the best, expect the worst. "I mean, you said that after you had that vision in your aunt's room at the hospital, you saw the mural of your family tree, right?

"Yup." Olivia turned around to point at a wide hallway to the left, where at the end, a large wooden staircase stood. Her friends' eyes followed her index finger while she spoke. "The mural's upstairs where the bedrooms are."

"Great, so that's where we'll start!" Nancy declared optimistically, forcing on a grin to build some confidence in the hopeless girl. Hesitantly, Olivia nodded before leading the way, her socks padding quietly against the wooden floor.