Smoke & Images

It's not that I miss you, it's that I can't explain to myself why you are always in my head. Such an abstract feeling of the deepest emotion. An indescribable love that transcends my conscience. 

Its an unfamiliar feeling that sets off a smoke grenade inside my head. Everything that I use to understand about you becomes blurred by the thick smog, and the reasons why I let you go cannot be reasoned. My mind becomes transfixed at the thought of you, and weary of the smoke suffocating my urge to forget. A rapid succession of images explode through my mind, like a photo album placed on a land mine. I see myself carrying you on my back after a long walk home. I see your mother hugging me. Your father shaking my hand. Your best friends giggling as I arrive at your door. I see it all in an instant.

Inside the smoke I see you lying by the lake we once called ours. A snapshot of an idyllic summer with a beautiful girl, free from imperfections or fault. A smoke that strings a smile across my face, and renders my heart yearning for a chance to see you again. And it is in that last moment I remember why I can never go back to that feeling. Smoke cannot exist without the fire.