Chapter 47

Sadra says nothing, her face completely impassive. But I know her well enough to see that she has no idea what Cimari is talking about. She keeps her eyes on Cimari, carefully not looking at me. I stand frozen, afraid that the slightest movement will draw Cimari's attention. Her eyes flick my my way despite--or maybe because of--our efforts, and I back away.

"You," Cimari breathes. She looks at Sadra. "And you. But why...the thrall?"

"You have no authority here," Arismendi jumps in, glaring at Cimari.

"I am a member of the House," Cimari says, her eyes still burning into mine. I hold her gaze, though my insides are quivering like jelly.

"The House of Light and Shadow does not rule the Empire," Arismendi snaps. "Or the Garden, or the palace, or me."

Cimari laughs unpleasantly, an ugly sneer on her lips.

"But it does," Cimari says with a smirk. "It always has. You were only too stupid to see it--and too stupid to see what's right under your nose, it seems. Run along, now. This one comes with me. It's caused me enough trouble."

Cimari grabs me by the arm, only to stumble backwards and fall to the ground as if tased. Ari lowers her hand, a self-satisfied look on her face. I look closely and see that a glimmer of light sparkles around her fingers.

"Stars above," Sadra says, prodding Cimari's body with her foot. "Did you kill her?"

"No," Arismendi says, almost regretfully. "Come on--quickly, before she wakes up. I hate to say it, but she's right. With Councilor Orean in charge, the House Premier might as well sit on the throne."

Arismendi leads us down the hall and gestures for us to enter a chamber. Sadra and I step through and she closes the door behind us. When I see who sits stiffly in a chair facing us, I gasp and instinctively reach for the door handle. Arismendi stops me.

"You!" Ismeni gasps, staring at Sadra. She doesn't even look at me. "You helped him, didn't you! You horrible girl--"

"Why does everyone think I've done something?" Sadra cries exasperatedly. "And what is it I'm supposed to have done?"

"Don't bother pretending," Ismeni says. "As if trying to ruin Cimari's career wasn't enough--"

"What in the ten hells are you talking about?" Sadra demands.

"There's no time for this," Arismendi says briskly. "We need to leave. Now."

"How do you propose we do that?" Ismeni sneers. "Even you can't just dance out of the palace with a condemned assassin."

"Actually, I can," Arismendi tells her. "But we're not going out through the palace--we're going under it. I had them put you in here for a reason, my brother's inexplicable beloved. Look."

With our help, Arismendi shifts a heavy chest aside and pushes a stone block into the wall until it reveals a hole large enough to crawl through. It must lead into the tunnels, I realize. Luca said that his sister is the only one who knew them as well as he does...aside from the Prince.

"Go on, then," Arismendi says, gesturing to the hole.

"You can't possibly be serious," Ismeni says, looking at the hole with incredulous distaste.

"I assure you, I am," Arismendi says coldly. "Unless, of course, you would rather be put to death for my brother's murder. If that's the case, we will bid you farewell and good riddance and be on our way."

Ismeni glares at her and gathers her skirts up with great dignity before crawling through the space. I go next, then Sadra, then Arismendi. I find that there's room to stand a few feet in. Ismeni waits for us with a ball of light in her hand, tapping her foot impatiently. I wonder if she's scared. She doesn't look it--she just looks irritated.