Chapter 1: Adjustments Between Us

Start from the beginning

"There's something wrong. You've been avoiding me since the duel," Atem said.

I looked down to the ground, feeling guilty for avoiding him. I had good reasons, but I didn't want him to think of me as selfish.

"You can talk to me. Please talk to me, partner," Atem said as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

I flinched a bit at the touch and then looked back at him. His searing crimson eyes look into me with deep concern and determination to help. I couldn't help but get lost in them like a void. And like a trigger, a tiny teardrop formed in my right eye.

"You are right. I have been avoiding you," I responded with a shaken voice.

Atem stays silent and tells me to continue.

"Don't take this the wrong way, I'm overjoyed you are here. But why did you?" I asked. "You could have been at peace with your family and friends. I know we've been through a lot together, but don't let us prevent you from eternal peace. I want you to be happy."

"And you think I'm not happy here?" Atem asked.

"We're just a couple of people you've made friends with, whereas you have family who missed you for thousands of years. We all wanted you to stay, but we knew you had to go. And when I won, and I was expecting to say goodbye to you forever, you came back from that door. So why?" I asked.

"You want to know?" Atem said.

I nodded.

"I don't know if I should tell him so soon. He needs some time, but it's the truth, so I have to tell him. That he deserves," Atem thought.

"I made a promise to someone," Atem said as he looked flustered.

I caught on to his look and was surprised to see a different side of him. Something about this situation is making me nervous as I suspect what it might be.

I look up to see Atem walking up to me. He places his left hand in my right hand, places his other hand around my waist, and then looks at me like he did a few minutes ago. Only this time, his eyes...his soul, show.....

"It can't be," I thought with realization.

I see Atem lean towards me till the tip of his nose touches mine. I closed my eyes as I anticipated what might happen....wait. Did I say that? Anticipate?

Warmth spread throughout my body, and a slight shiver up my spine as I felt a warm, comforting touch on my lips.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING?! Atem is kissing me?!" I mentally screamed.

It feels so right. Just like when we were together, in the puzzle, on our adventures, and our whole time together. What is this feeling? For years, I wanted to be like him. But maybe...there was more to it.