Chapter 1: Adjustments Between Us

Atem's POV:

I stayed, and even though Yugi beat me in the duel that determined whether I stay or go to the afterlife. I had to stay because that meant I got to stay with the person I secretly developed feelings for over our time together. And yes, I'm talking about my aibou, Yugi. He's just perfect. The way his beautiful violet-magenta eyes sparkle. The way his face just lights up like fireworks when he's smiling or laughing. His hair is exactly like mine, but it looks so good on him. I especially love his personality. Over our time together, he became the perfect being I know and love. He acts like this child who wants to play all the time, but at the same time, he can act maturely and step up for himself. I'm so proud of him and how much he has grown. And I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us. But there's more one thing I have to settle.

It was the beginning of the week of school, and the whole gang, including myself, were hanging out on the rooftop on top of the school. Every day during the study hall period, we usually come up here and hang out.

Joey began to stretch out.

"Man, do I love study hall. We get to hang out together and do things," Joey said.

"Yeah, it's pretty great," Bakura said.

"Hey Yug, why so quiet? You haven't spoken a word since we got back," Joey said to Yugi as he noticed his silence.

"It's nothing, Joey," Yugi replied.

"Come on Yugi, what's wrong?" I asked as I got closer.

I know something is wrong. He's never like this.

"I'm fine," Yugi replied as he seemed a little dazed.

"But....." I was going to finish, but the bell for the next class rang.

Joey sighed.

"Have to go to classes now," Joey said with disappointment.

Yugi rushed out with Joey and the others in a hurry, leaving a very confused me behind.

"I think I know what is wrong. After school, I'm going to confront Yugi, and I'm going to settle things, once and for all," I thought as I descended into the school.

The bell rang for the end of the day, and students were heading home.

After the last class, I noticed Yugi trying to leave quickly, maneuvering around students, and wandering off somewhere.

"Am I the only one who thinks something is bothering Yugi?" Tea asked.

"Not something, someone," I replied as I walked a few steps forward.

"You guys go on ahead. I need to fix some adjustments between us," I continued as I looked back at everyone.

They nodded in agreement.

I headed in the direction Yugi went in hopes of finding him.

As I passed the stairwell that leads to all the levels in the school, I noticed the door to the rooftop was open a bit.

Up on the rooftop: (Yugi's POV)

The breeze blows bits of my bangs as I look onward into the horizon. Silence all around despite being in the city.

"There you are," a deep voice broke out behind me.

I sighed and turned around to look at the person who spoke.

"Atem..." I said in my head.

"Yugi, you're worrying everyone. What's wrong?" Atem asked.

"Nothing's wrong," I replied as suddenly I couldn't look at him straight in the eyes.