Both were at a loss of words. They started at each other for what felt like hours, but were mere seconds. His dark brown eyes seemed to melt under her gaze, they were warm now, happy to see Grace alive in front of him.

They waited so long for this moment and now both of them were frozen in motion, not able to do anything than just stare at each other. Silent communication went on between them, they couldn't concentrate on it, but knew that their emotions were similar.

"Elijah."

Grace couldn't bring out anything else out. His name was the only thing left in her mind and it seemed to bring back Elijah's ability to move. He pulled her into his arms and pressed her small frame against his body. Still, he was afraid to hurt her because he didn't know if he had his own strength under control, but she didn't complain. Her cheek touched the fabric of his shirt that covered his collarbone and she was finally welcomed by his significant scent. Like always, he smelled like freshly washed clothing, cologne and his skin; a scent that she would never be able to describe.

Grace panted as her tears wetted his shirt and also Elijah's chest rose and fell heavily. He grabbed her by her shoulders and held her a bit away to look at her, before he cupped her cheeks with his hands and placed a desperate kiss on her forehead.

Elijah didn't know what he expected. He had been afraid that she wouldn't look at him the same way as before he left her alone. There was a change in her, but it surely didn't concern her feelings for him. He also still felt exactly the same, maybe even stronger.

"You're here..."

Her voice was barely a whisper. She couldn't exactly speak that clearly, as her voice threatened to be broken by sobs. For Elijah it was the most beautiful sound. Hearing her voice was like music to his ears, he longed to hear it since he woke up in this coffin.

"I'm here."

Quickly, he examined her more closely. Checking that she was ok was like a pure instinct. Thankfully she seemed unhurt, but her outer shape of course didn't give any evidence to how shadowed her soul was. She started to shiver and immediately, Elijah got out of his jacket and wrapped it around her tiny shoulders.

It was the first time in months that Grace let her guard down. Right now, she was nothing more than a scared girl that was head over heels with this incredible man in front of her. She felt so small and vulnerable, but Elijah's presence made her feel safe.

"I...I don't freeze...anymore."

Grace smiled lightly, but pulled the jacket of his suit tightly around her. She wasn't cold, but still it gave her the warmth she so desperately needed.

Sometimes Elijah simply forgot that she was like him now. Grace had time to adjust to this situation, but for Elijah it was still like it was yesterday that Klaus took her life. The rage about it was still the same.

Slowly, she lifted her hand and carefully stroke over his high cheekbone. Her hand shook, afraid that he could vanish if she'd touched him. That this was all just a dream. But it wasn't. He still was there when she felt his soft skin under her fingertips.

"I like the haircut."

It was so silly to say at that moment, it made them both chuckle. In unison, they lowered themselves to the grass covered ground. Elijah pulled her on his lap and intervened their fingers. His thumb caressed the back of her hand.

At first, it felt so strange. There was clearly an atmosphere of hesitation and maybe even a bit distance settled, but at the same time they felt so close. Touching each other, simply feeling their presence felt indescribably amazing.