Chapter Four: A Journey Begins

Mia's POV

Mia's POV

At the Red Keep...

I sat on the ledge of the tower in the Red Keep, looking off towards the highlands. It felt really weird coming back here. It's been two years since the Armenbrine attacked, which means it's been two years since my last archaeologist team was killed. Their deaths still haunt me. I felt like I should've done something, but... 

When I heard about this place having been liberated, I didn't believe it. But now having seen it, repaired and full of life that doesn't want to sacrifice you to a demon, I feel happy for the people living here. Supposedly, there were cultists here that were trying to capture a high traffic area where they could collect more sacrifices. Then, their leader was assassinated by the "new sheriff in town." After he and a lot of his followers were eliminated, the new Imperial Resistance came in and defeated the rest. Now it's one of the best outposts in the Badlands. People and Pagnum alike trade and live here, and the Magi Guild here was recently restored.

What brought me and Cross here in the first place was to see if these rumors were true, which I can call mission accomplished. But we have stayed here for about 2 days already, preparing for anything. What made us stay so long was one of the new people of the Magi Guild. He said that he could feel a strange magical presence near the coastline, but that nothing has been there in a while. I knew that Drake was a natural mage and he also had an inborn sense of magic, so I had a firm belief that this was my first lead to finding my friends. If I can find Drake, we can then find Grayson. I just don't know what to expect. It's been two years since I've seen either of them. I don't know if they even remember me. I haven't had a lead on either of them since we separated, but I never gave up hope looking for them. I've just been... sidetracked by a few things. One was the job I got nearly a year and a half ago. It was a special hybrid of an archaeological research and thievery. Me and Cross would receive a message by courier to go to a certain site that was being targeted by mercenaries employed by the Empire to recover any artifacts and eliminate any would-be bandits. Then we deliver the artifact to a dead drop and by the next day or so, we get our payment via courier. We weren't rich by any means but we had more than enough to keep us afloat for a while. The other thing was...

"Heya!", said a voice that I knew well. Cross teleported to me out of nowhere, which he just always seems to be in the habit of doing. The first few times I would jump or let out a yelp, but as time went on, I've grown accustomed to it. He grew well, all things considered. The one thing I've never figured out was why he never really changes clothes. He always wore the same outfit from when I found him, and he's never changed it. It must've been enchanted or something. I had changed my outfit from before, at least. I wore a pink shirt with my family's symbol under a dark blue jacket with a black hood and collar. I had black shoulder pads with silver outlining, and I had one belt that connected to the dark blue tattered skirt I had. I wore two organic-looking bracers on my arms which connected to the finger-less gloves I had on. I still wore my leather pants, but I replaced my leather boots with black boots with pink highlights. I brought myself out of my thoughts to notice that Cross had his arms behind his back. "I come bearing gifts!", he said, while taking his arms out to reveal two of one of my new favorite desserts: Sea-Salt Ice Cream. It was a nice light blue ice cream bar on a stick that was salty but had a very sweet aftertaste. I immediately smiled and took one while he sat down next to me.