The heat is starting to get to me, I think. The umpire has been nice enough to allow the catchers time between outs to cool by getting sprayed with water. It's a little disgusting to be so muddy at this point, but hey, I'm not going to complain. The heat is sweltering, and I need all the cool I can get.

The water is cool and calm as one of the girls on the bench dumps a bucket over my head, dousing the inside of my mask and most of my uniform, which is an unfortunate black. The red socks are a nice touch, along with the red stripe down the side of the pants and jersey. It's a nice looking uniform, but it's going to give me heatstroke.

I shove my hair out of the way as I glance back at the field. I need another out. That's all I need for this inning, and we can get into the dugout, where my pitcher and cool off a little bit and my fielders won't pass out from all the heat the sun's hammering them with. I need to save them for our third game, so they can have some downtime to rest and regain anything they've lost during the day so far. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to be roasted. I'll have to sleep until the basketball game starts. Luckily, and I suppose it's luckily, Satsuki's parents are giving me a ride. I definitely need one.

The mask comes back on, and the game resumes as quickly as it was paused. One more out. Unfortunately, I know that our pitcher is too worn to get us this out. I sign for a ball in the dirt, watching as this batter goes for it, and watch as she takes off for the drop-third. The ball rockets from my hands toward the first baseman, who is luckily still alive, and makes it safely into her glove. I can't help but feel satisfied with the turn of events. Coach Wantanabe ushers us off the field to get a drink and start batting.

My at-bats today are nothing to complain about. A few singles, a double, and a triple. I'm more than happy with them, although we could use something a little more substantial. From the looks of things, we need it bad since our pitcher will be switched out. I have no choice but to go for something that will fire us all up. At least, that's my plan up until I see something I can't avoid.

I have to give them credit. That pitcher has impressive control. However, if they wanted to walk me, surely they could've found a way other than to toss a ball straight into my elbow? Especially a fastball? White-hot pain races up my arm. I'm trying my best to keep the tears forming in my eyes from spilling as I hand my bat over to the next girl up.

This is not good, no this is really bad. I can feel my fingers tingling and my shoulder trying to throb. It'll look bad for the pitcher and catcher on the opposing team to have pegged me, but right now that isn't the issue. My arm is killing me as I jog to first. "Time!" The umpire calls as I step on the bag, ready to run again. I won't get the chance it seems. I get a courtesy runner and an icepack strapped securely to my elbow until it's time for me to catch again.

"Are you absolutely sure you can catch?" Coach asks as I rifle through my bag. I nod my head and look for a compression sleeve, which seems to have up and left me.

"Positive. I can do it." I say firmly, glancing up at him. "I can play right handed if it gets bad. It feels better now."

He looks at me dubiously, but he doesn't question me. If I pride myself on anything, and I probably pride myself on many things, it's my ability to endure. I can endure this. It isn't so bad. Besides, I still have two games to attend, to participate in if needed. I'm not going to let one pitch ruin my plays for the rest of the day.

Most of the rest of the game goes by with remarkable speed, with the most memorable moments being our second baseman's homerun and an astounding catch by our centerfielder. We win, and it's time for me to go. "Is there room for my bag in your car?" I ask Satsuki's father as I grab my clothes. "If there isn't, I can probably leave it with the team." Mr. Momoi nods his head empathetically.