Chapter 6

"Hai-chan, you're a little early for once!" Momoi says in surprise as I enter the gym, weary of her loud voice. I nod slightly. I'm usually just on time, neither early nor late. I glance around the gym. Members from the opposite team are just arriving. I can't read the kanji on their jerseys, but the blue and yellow theme is a bit distracting. Narrowing my eyes, I approach the pinkette.

"I don't have a jersey. What should I wear?" I ask.

Coach Harasawa makes his entrance, walking in with a bag in hand. "Here, I got your jersey. Momoi informed me of your interesting preference." I blink in surprise before glancing to Momoi. 

"We didn't know for sure if someone had this jersey, but found that no one had claimed it." Momoi says with a smile. "I still don't understand why you'd choose such an unlucky number." I open the bag to find my jersey, the number thirteen in big red numerals. A smirk cuts across my face.

"That's okay. As long as this number is mine, I'll be the unluckiest thing to ever happen to the opposition." I reply, taking the bag. "Are the others in the locker room? I can change somewhere else..." 

"Actually, we wanted you to change first since the guys take a lot longer. Go ahead and change." I smiles hesitantly at Coach and Satsuki before walking into the locker room with my school bag. On go the black shorts, the red and black jersey, and up goes my hair. I leave my bangs as they are, letting my bobby pins cling desperately onto the neck of my jersey. I shrug on my basketball shoes, tie the laces, and put my school uniform into my backpack. I exit the locker room just as the others stream in. 

"Hai-chan~! Come over here!" I hesitantly make my way over to the over-excited Momoi. "Do you see what I see?" 

Weakness. Defeat. Anxiety. "They have no spirit." I say suddenly, my eyes widening with shock. "N-None at all." Anger. Irritation. Impatience. "Are they even going to try?" 

"That's why I want you to grab their attention. I want them to focus on you so they try a little harder." I had wanted to be invisible for a while longer, but I don't have that option anymore. With a sigh, I adjust my body language completely. 

"A girl... a girl on their team?" A new bout of whispering consumes the other team as I adjust my ponytail. 

"That's a neat trick you have there." Imayoshi says suddenly from behind me. I look at him with a shrug. 

"It's easy. I can teach you later, if you're interested." I reply. "Basic body language." 

"You've almost outdone yourself." Momoi says pleasantly. "You've been practicing?" I glance away.

"I got tired of being squished on the train." I reply. 

"Let's get back to the locker room." She says with a smile. "I have some things to discuss with you and the rest of the team." 

"Will Daiki show?" I ask, falling in stride with our manager. Momoi shakes her head with disappointment. 

"Dai-chan doesn't want to play. Normally, we'd play a different first or second string player to fill the gap, but since you're here, it's best to utilize your skills to our advantage." She answers. "Listen up!" The locker room falls silent as we walk in. Thankfully, it seems everyone aside from Daiki is present and completely changed. "Hai-chan will take Aomine-kun's place today. She's up to par with Aomine, so this shouldn't pose much of a challenge."

"Why have a girl play?" hisses an indignant second-string player. "This is boys' basketball!" I offer him a bone-chilling glance as we make eye contact.