"You won't believe what I just saw. My sister really seems to switch brothers. Caught her with Damon on my porch."

Klaus faked a vomit and they both laughed. Usually he wasn't interested in the newest doppelgänger gossip, but it this time it could be of use. But it only worried him more, because this development brought the thought closer that Elena would eventually die in this feud between the Salvatore-brother. He couldn't have that. 

"Besides from spreading gossip, what are we up to today in the getting my family back problem?" 

After pacing around the room thinking for a while, Grace came to a halt in front of window. The sunlight shone through it, warming her skin. 

"Well, I have to go to the council meeting tonight. I enjoy nothing more than to raise funds for the restoring of the bridge my parents died on. Have I mentioned that you'll also come?" 

Her voice dripped of sarcasm, to which Klaus rose an eyebrow. He didn't really know the story of her parent's death. Probably he wasn't even interested.

"Why would I?" 

Sighing, Grace turned around to face him. 

"Because, in order to defy Stefan, you need the locals on your side. They don't trust you and are frightened by your hybrids. You won't come far if you have those annoying vampire haters on your heels." 

He placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a determined look.

"Good thing that you're in the council and will keep them from doing stupid things. Come on, you can make a donation in my name and everything will be fine." 

Sometimes, even a thousand year old man wasn't clever enough to see where alliances were important. Usually, Klaus simply killed people who stood in his way, but here he wanted to built a home, so he should integrate into the society. 

"Do I look like your wife? No, you can do your dirty work on your own. Charm the mayor into looking the other way, old man." 

Rolling his eyes, he nodded. But before he could reply anything else, someone new joined them in the house. Stefan. Wow, he had guts to show up here. 

"Stefan. I thought you left town the minute I set you free." 

The younger vampire smiled to himself. 

"You know what, Klaus, I don't like your hybrids. I want them gone." 

Grace's eyebrows rose in surprise. Was he stupid or just really brave? Maybe both, or maybe it was simply his emotion-rollercoaster. 

"Oh, they're actually pretty helpful. Just ignore them, they won't do anything to you if you finally give me my coffins back." 

Stefan chuckled, he seemed to find the situation pretty funny. 

"Well, I could just drop Elijah at the bottom of the arctic, if you don't do as I say." 

Grace's hands clenched into fists and a low growl escaped her lips. She knew that was exactly the reaction Stefan wanted to see, but when it came to Elijah, Grace wasn't up to games. But as she wanted to step closer to Stefan, Klaus stopped her. 

"Maybe loosing one brother is worth in exchange to taking the life of yours." 

Klaus's smirk was devious and that's when Grace knew that he was bluffing. He wouldn't risk Elijah's life. 

"Nice try, Klaus."

Stefan said and suddenly turned around, chopping the head of an approaching hybrid off. The hybrid's and the vampire's eyes widened as the dead body fell to the ground. Grace could see that Klaus was raging, but he didn't make a move.