Chapter 1.

Real evil preys on gullible things that are oblivious to its cons, it goes in for the kill again and again making sure we are not able to get up. All it wants is for something to play along in its sick, masochist game. It sets the rules and lays out its own terms and it doesn't matter that we are held against our will as long as we don't see anything.

That is what they did.

Knowing full well that we knew nothing and we were completely dependant on them, they blindsided us. Manipulated us into thinking that what they were doing was right.

But people grow and as people grow our senses sharpen and we see things that we didn't before.

That's what has happened to me.

Fear is what kept me here but fear is also what is going to drive me to do this.

And so with trembling hands and a shaking body I force myself to confront what I have pushed aside for so long.

I remotely shut down my emotions and let my mind only command the rest of me to do what is right.

My movements are rushed but quiet just in case the door knob clicks downstairs.

"Backpack... clothes... money..." I mutter. As I rush past the bookcase a book falls with a loud thud, my body stiffens and I whirl around, a wave of heat rushes through me.
Just a book.

My legs give out underneath me and I'm gasping on the floor.
It's nothing Ivy.

"Calm down. Calm down."

The door handle is like ice against my heated hand.

"Kate?" I ask her, my hand pushing her door open further.

"Yeah." She doesn't look back and her voice has long ago faded.

"I'm going. Do you want to come-."

"Just go Ivy." She tells me.

She's sitting by her window, her back facing me.

"Kate..."

"Go Ivy go!" She raises her voice.

She still doesn't turn around. I wouldn't have been able to close her door and walk away if she had been facing me. I shrink under eye contact.

I hold my breath and wall downstairs. There's a haze of smoke in the air of the living room. I catch site of injections on the table and do my best not to breathe any of it in as I fiddle with the window and climb out.

Once the cool night air surrounds me I quietly shut the window again and begin to walk.

Walk really fast.

My plan is to go to the busiest place in New York with the most people. Times Square.

From there I can plan the next step. I just need to get far away from this place.

My heart is still racing but I keep my appearance steady, it feels good to walk, even if it is in the middle of the night and I'm still scared for my life.

I'm alone after this.

Anything else that happens after this is all on me.

I'm getting closer to Times Square.  I looked back and let out a deep breath. This is happening. It actually is. Than I get scared. Like really scared. The realisation that I am actually really alone starts to sink in. I knew every day what would happen in that house. The outcome was always predictable. Out here... anything can happen. But I couldn't go back now. I just couldn't. I focused on the people passing me, going in the opposite direction. A lady in a dark suit, shoulders square, back straight, briefcase in hand. An old man looking half dead as he walked, the liquor smell radiating off him. A guy concentrating hard on the girl in front of him. I frowned. That's not normal. Following them was another lady wearing a turban and gypsy clothing, she was muttering under breath and when she came closer it sounded like chanting. I looked back watching her go when I saw the guy, the dodgy one, the one that was following that girl right behind me. Our eyes met, and I knew then that this couldn't be good.

Shit.