Chapter 19

They sat in denial. The whole way. You could see it. When Robert read his case and repeatedly accused them of child abuse, they kept their faces straight. No emotion. And I sat there. Looking at them. Wondering how you could hear what terrible things you have done and not show any emotion at all. Wondering if they have a heart. Wondering how you could hurt a child coming to you for love and comfort. A child who just wants you to love them back, a child that just wants a hug.

Kate touches my arm bringing my attention back to her. I give her a small smile. I've kept to my word. I haven't touched a drink since that night I was caught. And it hurts like hell. I'm not as numb as I want to be. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I watch their lawyer fumble with his paper. Trying to build up his own defence. Its useless. Our evidence is too overwhelming for them. We both have scars on our bodies, and the house was searched. Apparently they didn't ever think that they would get caught. Because the place wasnt cleaned up. A lot of evidence came from there. Robert also somehow convinced our long term neighbours to come out in the open and put forward the things they heard and saw that always seemed strange to them when it came to the two little girls living in the faded yellow house.

A part of me wanted to blame them for what happened to us. They spoke about how they suspected it all along but didnt go forward. We could have been put to safety long ago if they had the f.ucking courage to tell authorities.
"Shows just how f.ucked up this world really is." Nick had said to me. He wasn't smoking this time. Instead we were sitting on the roofs of one of the big buildings in Times Square. That's where we spent most of our time. It was a breather. Like we could be on top of the world for a few precious moments before we had to climb back down and join the madness below. I haven't told him about moving out yet. I dont know how to. I don't even know what we are. I've never been in any kind of relationship before. My mind was shaped to be fearful of them. It's quite strange... how me being sober has me recognising just how broken I am from my life. I've researched it and found out that my condition is what is the expected outcome when it comes to situations like these. Kate is not supposed to be as stable as she is. But I've concluded that her mind must have been so focused on me that she used that as a way to survive our ... circumstances.

*******
She is different today. She's glaring at us and shaking her head. He is nowhere to be found. She gave the judge an explanation but we are all still skeptical. And its their turn to take the stand. Speak for themselves.

When she does stand, she fixes her dirty blonde extensions and straightens her long pencil skirt over her thin legs.

"When this investigation started, we took DNA samples of both Kate and Ivy Callsons." Robert started once she had stepped on the stand. He flipped through the big file he brought with him, " Miss Callson... we have your results as well as Mr Voltages results right here... a paternity test shows that Kate and Ivy are in fact not the children of Mr Voltage."

Kates hand squeezed mine. I couldn't even form a proper thought. We didn't know this.

"Where is the father of Kate and Ivy?" Robert asked her.

She shrugged her shoulders, "I last saw him about sixteen years ago." She says this so casually... something stirs in me. Before Robert could say anything else, she continues, "He was blonde with blue eyes. I met him in Seattle. He said he loved me and only me. And then Kate came along." Shes not even looking at anyone in the court, she's staring at the floor and when she mentions Kate her teeth grit and she looks disgusted, "she took him from me. He didnt want to speak to me. He only loved her. He didnt care about me. He didn't even look at me. Only her. I left with her. But I took another pregnancy test and I found out that I was pregnant with the second one. I went back to him. After Ivy, he didn't even want to speak to me. Only them. He looked at them with such love, he fu.cking loved them. He promised me that he would love me and only me. And they took him away from me." She looked up, looking at the whole courtroom, "I took them and left him like he left me. Charles Voltage took an ... interest in me. He didn't care that I had the children. He didn't care for them. It was both of us who hurt them ... both of them. I hurt them just like their father hurt me. Just like they hurt me."

Everything was falling apart inside of me. How could she? This was all because of her. This... what happened to us ..

Everything.

Anger. Flashes of red. Shaking.

My vision wasn't even right. I couldn't think.

I couldn't hear what Robert said to her next. I couldn't heat what Kate was telling me. I watched everyone stand up. I stood up as well. I watched everyone leave. I started to leave as well. I felt someone pull my hand. I couldn't concentrate on what Robert or Kate was saying. From the corner of my eye I watched her come out. She was talking to her lawyer. She wasn't listening. I dont know what she was looking at. I remembered everything that she said and I snapped.

"Ivy no!" I heard someone shout.

She saw me coming. She smirked.

I hit her and pushed her to the ground. She didn't stop me. The anger was all I felt as I went in to strike her again and again. All I knew was that she was finally going to feel how we felt for our whole lives. I was going to make her feel pain.

Fair warning the next chapter contains alot of emotions and alot of drama.
RavenPaige xxx
Vote+comment