iv. crush

"just tell him!"

you and beverly were seated a lunch table in the cafeteria, talking about your crush, richie. richie also sat at your table but he hadn't arrived yet, giving beverly time to encourage you to tell him your true feelings.

"what if he doesn't like me back?" you asked as you ripped open a bag of oreos.

"then it's his loss," bev said, grinning at you end to end.

suddenly, a pale glasses clad boy with dark curls seated himself in front of you and pulled out a brown paper bag.

"where were you?" bev asked.

"i stayed back in calc to ask mrs. grent something," richie responded as he opened the paper bag and pulled out what looked like a soggy, mushy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "what the hell...she knows i hate p-b-j."

"you want some of my food?" you asked, holding out your lunchbox which was full of crackers, fruit snacks, and various other snacks.

he grinned. "this is why we're friends."

you pretended to smile. you knew he had meant it as a compliment, but how could he know your true feelings for him? you had never been friend-zoned before, but now you knew it was one of the worst feelings in the world.

the three best friends ate together, laughing and talking about random subjects and comparing quiz grades.

"do you guys wanna go biking with me today?" you asked as you scrunched the aluminum foil that once held your sandwich into a ball and threw it in the garbage can.

"i can't, i promised i'd hang out with bill and wyatt today," beverly frowned.

"i can," richie grinned. "we just need to stop at the gas station because my wheels are a little low on air."

"alright it's a date-deal...i mean deal." you said as you tried to laugh off your blunder awkwardly.

beverly choked on her cheese string.

-

"ugh, i hate that class," you groaned as you and richie walked out of ninth period math, relieved to be let out of the class room. beverly was in the accelerated honors class, so she was at the other end of the hallway.

"me too," richie agreed, as you two walked to your lockers which were, coincidentally, right next to each other.

you stuffed a couple binders in the metal compartment and grabbed your green hoodie, just in case it got chilly.

"you ready?" richie asked, as he zipped his bag up.

"yeah, just let me call my mom and tell her i'm with you," you answered and hit dial on your cell phone. with five minutes of convincing, she finally gave permission to go biking with richie without parental supervision. usually, she wouldn't, but in her mind, richie was an angel who would never let her daughter get hurt on the streets of derry.

"leggo," you grinned as you walked out of the school with him, taking your bicycle out of the stand.

"wanna ride around town for a bit and then down to the river?" richie asked, as he fumbled with his bike handles.

you nodded and the both of you set off in the opposite direction as the prison, as you and richie liked to call it.

-

the bike uphill was difficult and exhausting but the view at the top was amazing. you and richie threw your bikes on the ground and stared at the breathtaking horizon in awe. the sun was just about to set and there were so many different colors in the sky, you couldn't possibly name any of them.

when you finally tore your eyes away from the gorgeous sight, you saw that richie was lying on the grassy ground, surrounded by sun flowers and motioning for you to lay down next to him so you could both look at the sky without straining your neck.

so you layed down next to his warm body, staying close to him and becoming mesmerized at the view above.

"pretty, right?" richie asked.

"that's an understatement," you chuckled.

you turned around to see richie fumbling with his earbuds. he stuck the right one in his ear and handed you the left one. you smiled and stuck it in your, letting the acoustic sound waves fill you with peace and ease.

"this is my favorite song," richie informed you.

"same!" you exclaimed. "i love its peacefulness and how it has such a magical, serene tone."

"agreed," richie said. "listen, there's something i've been meaning to tell you."

"me too, actually," you said nervously, rubbing your hands together in the chilly air.

"here, take my hoodie," richie generously pulled his navy sweatshirt out of his backpack and gave it to her.

"richie, you don't have to-"

"come on, just take it, y/n," richie insisted, pushing it to you, until you finally pulled it over your head, filling you with warmth.

"alright, so let's say what we wanted to say at the same time," you suggested.

"okay."

then you took a deep breath and were shocked to hear richie say the same exact words as you: i like you.