Chapter 3

"Y/N," Hidden in the startlingly loud static, a voice called out for you. You strained, both your eyes and ears. Not only did the static fill your ears and render you mostly deaf, it was pitch black around you and you could make out no shapes in the darkness. Your heart was racing, each pound sending shocks of pain throughout your chest. The world - or whatever this dark void really was - seemed to be spinning around you, and with throb of pain from your head this time, you slumped to the ground with your hands over your ears. "Make it stop. Make it stop!" You shouted to nobody in particular, willing someone to stop it. Whatever this was. But no, it did not cease. In fact, it only became worse. In the static, new sounds could be heard - ones that filled your speeding heart with dread. Screams. Not just screams, either, but children's screams. Like the kind you would get after a seven year old watched their mother's limbs torn from her body. It was horrific, the tortured wails and cries made your own eyes sting, your heart lurch, and you failed to notice the tears cascading down your cheeks until it all finally stopped. Silence for a moment, besides your own snuffling. Then came a giggle - one, you realised with a jolt, belonged to the same person in your other dream.

-----------

It was cold outside. Winter had arrived at last, and although it was cold you liked it. Maybe because you were very self concious and the cold weather gave you an excuse to cover more skin up... but that wasn't all. Heat bothered you - you got hot so easily and you hated the headaches it brought, the sweatiness of summer was certainly not something you missed. Rather, the icy cold winter was welcome.

You sighed and turned a corner on the street, closing the distance between you and the park. Ellie had decided to arrange for them to go ice skating with a couple of friends. She could have gone alone, but she insisted you come along. Not that you disliked ice skating, you just didn't know her friends all that well. They were nice enough, sure, but whenever they were around you just felt as though you did not belong. You felt out of place. The fake friend.

You found solace in the idea that you might be able to sit in the cafe with a steaming mug of hot chocolate and watch the others skating from there. Then, at least, you didn't have to talk to any of them.

At last you arrived, pushing open the cold door of the cafe where you had arranged to meet the others. It was warm inside, and you soon stopped shivering as you wandered around, looking for Ellie and friends. However, it became evident quickly enough that they had yet to arrive. So, with a sigh, you found an empty table with multiple chairs and sat down onto one. The cushion was soft and comfortable, but must certainly worn out, as if it had been here for many years.

Your phone buzzed in your pocket and you quickly reached inside and grabbed it, pulling it out and turning it on to see who had messaged you.

Ellie: Sorry we're running a little late, Mike forgot to fill his car with petrol so we've had to go to a station. Be there in 10 xx

You groaned, running a frustrated hand through your hair. Mike always seemed to find a way to be late - and annoyingly enough he was one of the few of you who actually had a car. There was no doubting that you didn't like him, but you also knew that Ellie had a major crush on him so you tried to push down your own dislike to keep her happy. Not to say that if he ever hurt her you wouldn't kick his dick so hard it went inside him, that is.

While you were waiting, you decided to order that hot chocolate that you wanted - honestly you were bored of waiting. All you'd wanted was that damned hot chocolate.

Waiting in the queue turned out to be rather long and dreary, so you entertained yourself by inventing backstories for whoever walked into the cafe, creating your own ideas and stories about where they came from and what their life was like. It was actually quite the pleasing task, you'd admit to yourself.

The bell on the top of the cafe door chimed again, the ring breaking you from your thoughts. You had been in the middle of making up children for a young married couple sitting toward the back of the store but now your attention was focused solely on the newcomer.

Dark they were - dressed all in black. If not for the flash of green you could just about see under the peak of his hoodie's hood, one might think he was a shadow in the night. His expression you could not see, very little of his face could be distinguished, although you could tell from what little you saw that he was pale. Ghostly pale, in fact, but you were pale too. Perhaps not as fair skinned as he, no, but still significantly so.

Around him was an air of mystery, a dark aura that shook you to the core. People moved out of his way instinctively, and you chewed the inside of your cheek anxiously. The figure kept walking, until he came to a halt right in front of you. You happened to be unlucky enough to be standing at the point of the queue where you were blocking anyone who tried to get in from the seating areas. Your mind screamed at you to move, as the man stood there silently, staring as though he was able to burn holes with his glare, but your feet would not budge. You could almost feel the annoyance radiating off of him, and you willed yourself to just get out of his way, but you just did not. You couldn't.

"Move." He seethed, clenching his jaw together. But the voice, oh the voice. So eerily familiar that it send the illusion of pain as spikes through your body. That sickening voice, even if you had been able to move before, you certainly were stuck in place now. Rapidly your heart was beating, so hard that it could have burst from your chest and there wouldn't be a hint of surprise on your face. Something prodded at your mind, poked at your brain, until you felt coldness wrap around your wrist, an icy embrace that shocked you, pulling you out of your head with those curiously worried thoughts.

It was only when you broke out of the trance did you finally look down to see the shadowed man's hand gripping your wrist harshly. "I said move." He hissed, pushing you so you stumbled backwards, only managing to hold yourself up when you leaned against a small wall. Everyone around shot glances back and forth, some shuffled away, some even left the shop, but you simply watched in part awe, part fear, as the man strolled past and sat down at the table next to the one you'd been sat at.

Then, as if nothing had happened, people turned back to their tables and continued on with their own conversations. The bell at the door rang again and you sighed in part relief as you recognised Ellie's figure pass through the doorway. "Y/N," she grinned, walking up to you with around four other people following.

Mike was tall with short brown hair and brown eyes, his back slightly bent and leaning, as though he'd just spent hours playing computer games (not that you didn't do that too, but still). You supposed Mike's back problems were of no concern to you, after all.

Then there was Lilly - she had short black hair that reached the top of her shoulders, and bright blue eyes. Lilly was someone you had always been envious of - she had the perfect figure, and was beautiful. Her face was cute and round, with a button nose and rosy cheeks. You'd always hated the way you looked and seeing someone as pretty as Lilly never failed to spark a little jealousy within you.

Beside Lilly stood her boyfriend, Henry, who was roughly the same height as her. He was well built yet lean, a perfect combination between muscular and thin. He had dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes not too unlike Lilly's own. Lilly and Henry, they were like a dream couple. Both perfect, and both made for each other.

Last but not least was Charlie. She was a very loud girl, and often was quite irritating, but Ellie seemed to enjoy her company. She was short and had blonde hair in a bob, though it was often covered with a beanie of some kind. She was a little chubbier than the others, but still very pretty with her forest green eyes.

You grabbed your hot chocolate from the counter and made your way over to the table (beside the hooded stranger) where your 'friends' had gathered.