Chapter 4

I'm so sorry this took so long, I've been dragged down with schoolwork and other irl stuff >.> I feel so bad oml

You attempted to keep your gaze focused on your 'friends' at the table, in hopes of avoiding looking at the hooded man sat behind you. You participated very little in the conversation, too wrapped up in your own thoughts as you took an absent sip of your hot chocolate, brushing a strand of hair behind your ear.

His presence had gone unnoticed by the numerous people gathered around your table but you were uncomfortably aware of him there. Perhaps it was the way in which he had hissed at you, or the pain that had ensued when he grabbed your wrist so tightly, but knowing how close he was set off your nerves.

After what felt like an eternity, the gathered group stood from their worn, wooden chairs and began to depart one by one from the cafe. You'd have gone too, but you really didn't feel like trekking through the snow to arrive at your doorstep with frost clinging to your face. It was even colder than it had been an hour or so previously, so instead you simply remained within the warmth of the lightly bubbling cafe, observing the relieved faces of those who entered and gratefully recieved hot chocolates.

You knew he was still there, but you'd relaxed a little. Being on your own should have made you more wary, but you'd accepted that it was unlikely that the man was some kind of criminal. Was that a stupid decision? Probably.

Either way, with your hands wrapped around the little steaming mug upon your now empty table, you were content. After half an hour or so of silent contemplation, you finally took your leave, grabbing your jacket and holding it tightly around yourself. A few steps led you to the door, and then you were outside without a single glance back.

While inside your thoughtful trance, you took a moment to simply look at the world around you. A thick blanket of white coated the ground so beautifully - a pale, fluffy dusting that decorated the landscape in a glorious sweep of snow.  The sky was darkening but with that came the slow rise of the moon, casting gentle light upon each building set firmly into the land. There was a peaceful silence, a dim, orange glow beaming from the street lamps dotting the sides of roads as your feet sprung into motion.

You weren't unnerved by the quietude at first - normally it brought comfort, but anxiety worked quick and was a deadly foe. Your thoughts had drifted to the unsettling presence of that strange man. His hand, gripped so tightly around your own wrist... there was something so frightening about it. You'd feared people, you'd feared many things, but it was not only fear that curled it's grip around your heart when the image of him emerged from the corners of your mind. Curiosity perhaps, but we all know the saying - curiosity killed the cat.

Even so, you just couldn't shake the stomach-curling sensation of that encounter. Maybe that was why your heart began to beat a little faster at the muffled creak of a twisted tree, mind whirling with dark images and childish nightmares. Those dreams you'd had... you hadn't had ones like those for a while. The screams, tortured cries, they echoed inside your head like a repetitive tune from a toddler's toy. A sick little chant, one that you couldn't shake off. It was then you noticed your own trembling, vision darkening for just a split second before you dropped to the floor.

A matter of seconds - at least, that's what it felt like - saw you curl into a heap amongst the snow, black dancing in your sight before it was gone. Like rain wiped away on the front of a car's window, a few drops of darkness remained until you blinked and all was normal.

You sat on the side of the road for a good while, just watching the snow continue its descent from above. No cars shattered the silence, for this road in particular was one rarely used. That's why you chose to walk down it, hoping to avoid other odd encounters.

When at last you picked yourself up from the curb and brushed hair away from your cold face, you noted the wave of slight dizziness that washed over you but made no move to sit back down. Better if you just keep walking and get home, right? Then you could settle down with a warm blanket and put on a movie to ease your bristling nerves. Hopefully you'd fall asleep, too.

Each step was slow and calculated, mind feebly attempting to concentrate on not falling down again - partly because you'd prefer not to sleep outside in the ice, but partly because it was mildly embarassing. Not that anyone was watching, for the road was visibly empty... it just felt like even the trees could snicker at you if you tumbled for the second time.

It was as your eyes were scanning over that line of trees opposite the cracked road that your gaze landed upon a dark figure leaning against a fence. Was that? No...

It wasn't, was it? Surely the world had not led you to the very place where that guy had decided to hang out in his solitude. No thank you, you'd rather not go near him.

Tucking your hands into your pockets and forcing your stare down to the path, you continued walking in hopes of passing him with no conflict. Hopefully he wouldn't recognise you, or maybe just not take notice of you if you took no notice of him. Maybe that was dumb, but you had to get past and saw no other way.

The steps forward you took were quick as you tried desperately to appear normal but failed in your attempts. He noticed.

Your heart almost stopped dead in your chest as his hooded head tipped ever so slightly in the direction of your footsteps. You remained silent, trying to shuffle straight past but just as you were about to reach for freedom, a shadow darted forward to block your path. Caught.

Silence loomed like a snake preparing to lunge and consume it's prey with no mercy - he did not speak. It forced you to open your mouth with such hesitation that you wanted to shrink and bury yourself under the snow.

"U-um... excuse me... c-could I just..."

"No."

That one word smacked you in the face so forcefully, your eyes widened and you peered up to stare into the blackness that hid his features.

"W-what?"

"I said no. You can't."

"...But..."

"No."

What were you supposed to do? What were your options? Turn and run away? You couldn't. Too much shame would plant itself within your chest. But you couldn't exactly stroll past the man either.

Then he did something unexpected. He seemed to come to a conclusion about something unknown, shifting so his demeanor was not quite as off putting. Then he slid to the side as if to allow you to pass.

And you, being terrified and foolish, stepped forward.