Part 4

"Yesterday, walkers got through the gates," Rick's voice boomed through the hollows of the church, "now, we don't know exactly how that happened, but trust me when I tell you, we are going to figure it all out."

The murmurs grew louder and Rick waited a moment or two before continuing. He turned to give Michonne a tentative look, who was standing behind him up near the pulpit. She gave him a single nod, and barely-there smile, but it was all the Sheriff needed to continue.

"We are working on making sure it never happens again. Luckily, no one was hurt, but we are aware that many of you were unprepared. I want everyone to have a knife on them at all times. However, given the circumstances, until we figure out exactly what happened, only those on guard duty either at the wall or the prison will be armed with guns."

The murmurs grew again, but Rick didn't give them a chance to get carried away. "Listen, listen... I know how you feel. I don't really like it either. But, we do have a prisoner within the walls, and while he's been quiet for a while now, it doesn't mean he's not capable of trouble. So, again, until we can get it sorted out, everyone carries a knife to protect themselves against walkers, but only guards are to be armed."

When the voices started to swell again, Maggie acted.

"Please, listen to Rick," Maggie called out, while standing up. "Negan is dangerous. We can't be caught off guard again. Just give Rick a few days and we can fill everyone in on what he finds," Maggie looked at the Sheriff and he gave her an appreciative nod.

"That's it for now," he spoked up again, "head back to whatever you had planned and carry on as usual. Just have a knife at the ready and eyes open at all times."

Alexandrians slowly streamed from the church, but you Daryl, Maggie and Glenn hung back with Rick and Michonne.

"They don't seem happy," you said, looking between your friends trying to read their faces.

"No, they ain't, but I know that asshole is behind this. Just gotta find out who lured the guards off the wall. I wanna talk to him again," Daryl crossed his arms over his chest. "Just give me five fucking minutes with the prick."

You flashed Daryl a warning glance, but if he saw it he didn't react. "No way you're going in there by yourself."

"No, she's right Daryl, you leave him be. I got a few ideas of how to handle him." Rick gave the archer a look that warned him to steer clear. But you knew better than anyone that when Daryl got a notion in his head, it was hard for him to let it go and that realization was enough to start the anxiety growing in the pit of your stomach.

"I'm... I'm gonna go grab some supplies from the pantry. If you guys work shit out, let me know." The sudden need to leave the church hit you like a ton of bricks. The thought of Daryl going face to face with the psychopath in the cell made you cringe. The idea that he was itching to do it simply made you crazy.

Since the war ended with the Saviors, and Negan was locked up, Daryl had been anxious to get time alone with him. He wanted to get even for the hell that Negan put everyone through, but mostly, he wanted justice for Abraham.

"Y/N," Daryl called after you, "you alright?"

"Yeah, just need to get some lunch for the kids, forgot to stop there yesterday. I'll catch you back home." Your need for fresh air was overwhelming, so you turned quickly to leave before anyone else could stop you.

Walking quickly down the street, you came to a stop at the road, where you'd turn for the pantry. Instead, you walked straight towards where the prisoner lived. Rosita stood with her gun propped against her shoulder outside the door.