Jewellery

It hurt. The area was red and tender to touch, but it looked good. He tried not to touch the hot flesh of his earlobes, but it was hard as they walked side-by-side at the mall. Zelda was chatting away while Link listened on, trying to distract him. So far, it wasn't working.

"... And I know that you're not going to want to come this weekend, I know how much you hate these functions," Zelda was saying, just as Link touched his left earlobe again, "And it's probably going to be really boring, but-- Link, cut it out." She gently took his hand away from the tender piercing. "I know you want to touch, but your hands aren't clean enough."

Link sighed, letting her lace fingers with his own. She gave him a squeeze, so he squeezed back.

"Anyway. The party is going to be really grand," she continued, making a sweeping gesture, "With lots of fancy people." She smiled, looking a little far away. "I was hoping that I could go alone, but my father is insisting a bring a date. He says it would look good. I don't know why he cares so much about appearances." Zelda sighed. "But I guess if you're going to have old Royal Blood, you have to be. Which means I get to deal with it later in life. In any case, I really want to ask someone to come with me, but I'm not sure who! I know my father would like me to take that awful man Ganondorf, but he's almost twice my age and he gives me the creeps. Besides, Impa is closer to my age and I wouldn't mind taking her. Too bad she has her duties to attend to that night."

Link nodded, trying to listen. His lobes were burning and itchy still. He just wanted to touch again, let his cool fingers feel the smooth metal of the new hoops. Just as he reached up with his other hand to do it again, unconsciously, Zelda's own hand reached out and snatched his wrist.

"No," she said firmly, stopping them in their tracks to stare at Link stubbornly. "You can't touch them."

Link smiled.

"I'll go with you," he said, taking her off guard just long enough to lean in and give her a peck.

She blinked at him for a moment. "You will?" Zelda's face brightened when Link nodded. "Oh, thank you!" Throwing her arms around his neck, she hugged him tight. "I don't know what I would do without you, Link!"