Chapter 49 - Dread

Chapter 49 - Dread

"What the heck do you mean Nan?! How could he think that..." I trailed off feeling like I wanted to vomit again. How could my life keep taking all of these unexpected turns, it wasn't natural, and I had just about had enough of it. It almost felt like Will and I were just never going to get our moment. Yeah, we were supposedly soul mates, but how was it that fate would come in between us every single freaking time?

"Darling, I'm not quite sure. It could be the brain damage, perhaps it's caused some form of amnesia. Or a vampire may have used their hypnosis on him. We're not quite sure at this stage but the doctor has recommended that we do all that we can to keep him positive and happy, give him a reason to pull through. Once he is ok we could try the hypnosis on him." Nan told me, trying her best to contain her concern.

"But why the hell do I have to go along with this?! Wouldn't it be better for him if we were just honest?" I pleaded, seriously not wanting to have to lie to him. I knew already how much this was going to damage Will, and most probably our relationship too. I didn't even want to think about what I'd do if Ash tried to kiss me.

"Because darling, he has no one else. If you break his heart, he may just give up. He doesn't really have anyone left anymore, not even family." Her words made sense. I felt incredibly heart broken for the guy, he was an amazing person and the last thing that he deserved was to have his entire life taken away from him. I wanted so badly for him to get better, and if this was what it had come down to, then I guess I had to give it a try.

I took in a deep breath and let out a large sigh of frustration. It was the last thing that I wanted to do but I had to go and suss it out at least. Nan opened the door and led me into the room. I made my way over towards the bed and Nan walked out, clicking the door behind her, leaving just Ash and I alone.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and held back the tears that threatened my eyes just from looking at him. He looked so helpless, and appeared to be in a world of pain. I grabbed onto his hand tightly, just like before. This immediately caused his eyelids to twitch, and I realised that I had probably startled him, perhaps waking him from a broken slumber.

"M-Miranda? Is that you?" He whispered, beginning to open his eyes. I shifted closer towards him.

"Yep, I'm here Ash." I whispered back, fighting back those dreaded tears. I could see his eyes now, and although they were slightly red and puffy, they were just as gorgeous and heart-warming as ever. I knew then that they had looked alive because of me, and that I had to do all that I could to keep it that way. He suddenly began to wriggle around and pull himself into a sitting position, his face twisting in pain as he was doing so.

"Ash! Stop, don't move, it's only going to make things worse." I pleaded, him completely ignoring me. I could tell that his pride had gotten the better of him and he didn't want to be lying around all helpless if he could help it.

"I'm fine. See? Now come here." He said whilst flashing me an incredibly cute smile. I was happy to see that he was somewhat back to his silly old self. He shuffled over and was patting the space beside him, gesturing for me to move up and lie down with him. I hesitated for a moment but realised that I really did want to feel his warm skin against mine, to exchange the affection that he'd missed, somehow reassuring myself that he really was ok.

I sat down next to him and wrapped my arms around his waist, squeezing him as tight as I could get away with without hurting him. He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed me back, stroking my hair with his hand. "I love you Miranda." He whispered into my ear, making me feel incredibly guilty. I was sure that the type of love that he was referring to was not the type that I had felt for him. I did love him, of course, but only as a friend. I was afraid that what he'd just said to me had meant much more than that.