Why Him?

Alex's POV

John and I have been lying on the couch for the past several hours now. He wasn't feeling well, although it's not like this wasn't normal, so today I decided to take off of work and spend time with him at the house. He looked terrible and I felt so much empathy for him... He use to be normal, tan skinned with bold freckles covering him. Now he's grown very pale, his freckles being much faded and a look of fatigue constantly over him. Don't get me wrong! I love my John either way and with all my heart, and he will always be beautiful no matter what. I just pity the man so much, holding his weak, fragile body in my arms.

John started whining and shot up, holding his head groaning. Every time this happens I have no way to make him better except for rubbing his back and whispering sweet words into his ear. His eyes were shut closed but he slowly started to open them, blinking many times in an attempt to correct his vision. It did not.

"Alex..." he mumbles. "My double-vision is back, how do I m-make it go away, th-there has to be a w-way...!"

If I could tell him I would, but I can't. I've never seen someone with such a unique condition as him in my field. Normally we attempt to help him. Everyone says it could be multiple sclerosis or even astrocytomas (brain tumors) but no one has found actual proof. Though, I think it's none of that. Although his symptoms fit those diseases, I fear it is something else. What that something else is I'm not sure, but if he really had one of those diseases he would have gotten some kind of treatment by now.

Suddenly John got up and ran to the bathroom, that is if you could even call it running. His muscles are too weak to move much anymore, so he only did when he had to. I hear him vomiting so I quickly get up to go help him and hold his hair back. Oh God why did it have to be my John, my poor sweet, sweet John...

When he finished I washed him up and told him to go back to the couch so I could clean in here. This wasn't anything new, in fact it happened at an alarming rate, but today is worse than normal. He seems much more fatigued and pale than normal, although what was even normal about all of this anymore. I just wanted my John back, the healthy one who use to be able to do anything and tackle on the world.

The one I fell in love with so many years ago...