ae: x

alternate ending :: x + xi rewrite

//

X

♛ june fourteenth, two thousand and sixteen

SHE WAS WAITING FOR HER when bae juhyun found kang seulgi outside a classroom on the balcony upstairs

SHE WAS WAITING FOR HER when bae juhyun found kang seulgi outside a classroom on the balcony upstairs. her breath hitched when she saw the girl. the girl that murdered her friends. the girl that was going to kill her too.

"why did you do it?" the eldest girl asked, her voice cracking. tears stung her eyes as they threatened to spill.

the younger girl turned around, her back no longer facing juhyun. her eyes were bloodshot from crying and her lips were trembling ever so slightly. "did you think you could get away with murdering seungwan?"

the grapefruit-haired girl halted in her steps. her breath hitched. "i- i don't know what you're talking about!"

the sunset orange-haired one rounded up on her. "what motive did you have for murdering seungwan? i was justified! you have no idea what cruel things you put me through, bae juhyun. i wanted you to pay!"

"stop screaming at me!" shrieked juhyun, breathing erratically. "you think you're the only one suffering? with my parents pressuring me to go to seoul university and graduate at the top of my class and seungwan pressuring me to continue neglecting my studies to go to nightclubs with her, you think you are the one with problems?"

"do you have any idea what constant neglection from everyone does to a person?" seulgi screeched back. "everything i say is ignored without even a thought. i'm just a shadow! my parents don't notice me behind the spotlight of my perfect siblings and you! you, the one who made me go through so much difficulties to get a simple high-five! because you're so perfect!"

the girls were practically touching noses by now, tears streaming down their faces unattractively. they both faltered, realizing what they had said to each other. the entire prospect of them being so alike in different ways angered them both. juhyun's hands tangled into seulgi's hair and yanked, while seulgi punched her face.

the two girls screamed curse words and cried as they hit each other. it was a flurry of female anger. ishakespeare was right about one thing. hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. in this case, both women had been scorned.

when they broke away, the girls began seething at each other once again. they were both in terrible shape. seulgi's orange hair had been knotted, blood covering her face and hair. bruises and scratches littered her skin. juhyun was not in a better condition. her lip was busted and bruises began forming everywhere, blood pouring out of her cuts.

police sirens began getting closer, though neither of them cared. they were both dead set on ending each other.

"why did you murder sooyoung?" juhyun snarled.

"sooyoung was so easy to kill. she's so naive and ignorant. i killed her first so she wouldn't have to feel the pain of the deaths of the others. she had agreed with me during the argument. i was glad for her support for me. she always noticed me!" seulgi cried out. "but you murdered seungwan in cold blood!"

juhyun growled. "i already told you she always wanted me to go to nightclubs with her! she fed me her poisonous friendship, and i fed her my literal poison! i was the only one making the food, so no one would think it was weird if i stepped into the kitchen. her soy milk contained small doses of poison, but that wasn't enough. i drugged her with a lethal dose of medicine from the clinic."

seulgi's brows furrowed in confusion. "i knocked out yerim in seungwan's room because i thought she also murdered seungwan! with the medicine!"

juhyun frowned. "you didn't stab yerim and leave her in the kitchen?"

bewildered, seulgi huffed. "of course i did! i thought she killed seungwan with you."

confusion consumed juhyun. "then, who-?"

by surprise, the two girls were pushed towards. in a flash of red hair and the glint of a knife, seulgi was pushed off of the railing. by surprise, seulgi's immediate reaction was to pull juhyun's hair. the pain of supporting seulgi's entire weight was excruitiating.

with the simple push at her feet, the two murderers tumbled down onto the grassy area below.

in total satisfaction, yerim, though she was weakening by the second from the blood loss from her stab wound, watched the end of the killers. she smiled, ignoring the aching in her chest. she coughed, red liquid oozing out of her mouth. she began to choke, her eyes bulging at the sudden pain.

. . .

when the police arrived on the balcony, they found a dead girl covered in blood the color of her hair collapsed on the ground, the metallic shine of a knife sticking out of her chest. a surprised look adorned her face and her hands were doused in the blood like she had tried to stop the blood flowing from her mouth. on the grassy area below the balcony, the shattered bodies of a grapefruit-haired girl and am an orange-haired girl lay on the bloody grass. their limbs were twisted in odd angles, adding to the collection of bruises and cuts they already had.

//

XI

♛ february fourteenth, two thousand and seventeen

with a groan, she opened her eyes. she felt how parched her lips were and how sandy her throat felt. she could feel the material of a cast and bandages covering her entire body, as if her entire being was broken.

the bright light flowed into the room. with a painful turn of her head, she could see her parents sleeping in the chairs beside her. tears began flowing out of her eyes at the painful sight.

"miss bae juhyun?"

her pain-filled eyes redirected to a doctor in a white coat, two police officers behind him.

"i'm very sorry to say, but," said the doctor softly, "when you're well enough, you'll be put in prison for the murders of kang seulgi, son seungwan, park sooyoung, and kim yerim."

a tear leaked out of her eyes.

she could only imagine seulgi's jubilant voice in her ear, whispering what she always had when she would beat her in chess as her soulless queen stopped in front of her timid king.

checkmate.

//

i think i wrote this ending better than the actual ending yiKes

thanks for reading!

- xoxo, janice