Chapter 5

Ranvijay was sure he had heard Ali muttering something through his bloodied jaw. That challenging smile, defiant look could only be when he was sure that Ranvijay wouldn't get to the end of it. But, how could Ali be so sure?

What am I leaving? Ranvijay was so deeply engrossed that he didn't notice the immediate fog of giggles around him. It was only when he had everyone's attention, he frowned and his eyebrow quivered, "What?"

"Didn't you hear that?" Shekhar managed to bubble out and Ranvijay braced himself for a show. "Heard what?"

"That if you want to play his game," Kesar initiated and everyone joined her. "Get a wife of your own."

Ranvijay cringed, closing his eyes and noticed he was absently twirling the ring in the milk pot which the couple was supposed to find. He threw the ring back in the pot embarrassed and more laughter followed. 

"You could've told me that you wanted to marry, I would've waited." Shekhar snickered and Ranvijay shot him an offended look. He looked at Padma for support who was giggling as well. He presented her a browbeaten look. “Really, Nani ma? You too?”

“Well, Shekhar hasn't said anything that doesn't make me happy.” She winked at him and Ranvijay rolled his eyes, getting up. “Okay, I think I am too tired to be a part of this. I'm retiring to my room.”

"But, what about having my back?" Shekhar yelled and Ranvijay smirked at him on his way. "I am sure you won't want to defeat her. I don't support losers."

He successfully tucked himself out and Bhushan met him in the corridor. He was in a hurry because his breath was high and Ranvijay rubbed his forehead, wearily. “Now, don't give me any bad news. I'm not up for it."

"Ali slit his throat." Bhushan apprised him anyway and Ranvijay widened his eyes, scurrying to the dungeon. He saw the man still hung in the iron bars, his head lifelessly bent to an odd angle and trail of blood oozing out from his neck, soaking his shirt wet.

"This is a slashing wound. He hid a steel wire in his collars." Saket Singh, a security guard, dropped his hand into the victim's neck and ripped the wire out of the collar stitching. "This was a back-up plan, since arson failed."

Ranvijay's ears perked up and he stared at Saket. "How do you know about the arson?"

Saket paled, his hands still in Ali's collars and life sucked out of him. He gulped, turning to the killer gaze of Ranvijay and stuttered. "I...
Hukum… I….this….he…"

"You betrayed me, Saket." Ranvijay hissed out and Saket flounced like a leaf. Without thinking, he pulled out the gun and aimed it at Ranvijay but before he could take aim, Ranvijay's fingers curled upon the trigger and the bullet went straight through the Saket's forehead, creating a nasty hole between his eyebrows before his body thudded down on the floor.

***

"Why don't you tell dad about keeping them?" Shekhar questioned, thrusting his hands on his waist and watched the men being transported to Ranvijay's private residence. It was on the same night he had discreetly made the arrangements. Veer was going with Bhushan to the Haveli to properly accommodate them.

"This isn't needed. I'm only shifting them because I don't want them dead." Ranvijay recalled their torture. He had witnessed terror in their eyes, had weighed the amount of pain on their faces. Two of them had peed their pants and the rest of them kept joining their hands until he stopped his guard. "They are afraid of dying. It makes me strike off the arson. There's more to the story."