Chapter XIV: Pandora's Box: Hope

"Pandora shut the box vowing never to open it again. But when a tiny voice begged to be let out, she opened it one last time. As well she did. For the last creature left was the one we call, hope."
**pompeii—Bastille**

Be Advised: this is a new adult fiction book and contains sensitive/adult-oriented content, (particularly in this chapter.)

Cornelia half stumbled half-ran, through the sticky and stained halls of the castle. She leaped, dodged, and tripped over bodies that were torn apart by battle, corpses that were bloated and defecating.  People covered with so much of their loot their bodies were crushed under the weight.  The worst of the wreckage were those who lay coughing and riddled with dark splotchy boils. Not everyone in the palace was dead, but they were lost to this world and packing their things for the River Styx. 

"This must be where it started," Tears burned her eyes. "I am living in a nightmare, and I cannot wake up." Cornelia wiped away her tears with her shoulder, "The world cannot end like this." Fire and determination filled her soul as the sounds of the tool in her hand beeped hopefully as she neared her target. 

She picked up her feet to burst into a blind run in the direction indicated but a familiar voice  broke her focus. "Apollo?" no one answered her whispered inquiry. The sound came again, "Apollo?"  Her voice now more insistent. Cornelia gently pushed aside a door that had been left slightly ajar.

A familiar but, naked man languished in the corner of the room with a fire-haired beauty on top of him. She feasted on him, consumed by deranged lust. Two more men appeared in view and approached the amorous couple. The woman they had just finished with had collapsed and lay unmoving on the floor. Her eyes shadowed and vacant with a maniacal smile etched on her face. Cornelia held her breath as she watched the emaciated woman's hand struggle to find its place between her thighs. Not even exhaustion or hunger could stave off lust's hold on her.  Her fingers never made their target. They fell limp to her side and her eyes faded of life as one last sigh escaped her lips

The woman's body briefly illuminated with an azure light before the wraith appeared. It flew out of her mouth in its natural bright discorporate form. Then soared out the window in search of its next host. Instinctively Cornelia shuddered at the sight; this was all too much. There was also shame in her relief that it had not taken her.

The two other men in the room converged on Apollo and his fire-haired partner. Their movements were determined and hungry. Their legs shambling across the floor.

"Apollo watch out!" she cried.

Lazily he propped himself up and eyed her hungrily.  The beautiful red-haired woman never stopped her ministrations. Her eyes were lined with shadows just as the woman on the floor her skin tight with lack of food. Cornelia felt she would be nauseous. It was one thing when it was complete strangers. Watching Apollo, a blind puppet to a lust wraith was a whole different experience.

The two men in the room also turned and looked at her Hungrily. She became acutely aware of her short war skirt and tight breastplate. She started stepping back into the hallway eyeing the men nervously.

"Cornelia!" Apollo spoke weakly. His tone had an unfamiliar lilt to it. He beckoned for her to come over. "I have been waiting for this day. I thought that blue-haired freak would never leave your side long enough for our 'anatomy lesson." He winked and moaned under the woman's ministrations.

Cornelia's eyes never left the two men approaching her. She took a broad stance her sword pointing back and forth between the two men.

"Pretty." One said. His inflection was almost snakelike.