Chapter Two

I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad made-for-tv movie. You know the ones that pathetically try to mimic teenage life? That's exactly what I've become. Total cliche.

It's currently lunchtime and I'm hiding in the bathroom. Yup, this is my life now. Bailey Abbot, the girl who's too embarrassed to show her face in public. The girl who hides in the bathroom because she's too scared to run into the popular kids again.

I sigh and shove my peanut butter and jelly sandwich into my bag, ignoring the twist of hunger wringing in my stomach. Actually eating in here is too gross for me to muster, even if I am starved. I'll have to find somewhere else to shove lunch into my face, maybe once the bell rings.

I've been chilling in the handicap stall since first period, but I know I can't stay in here forever. One thing my parents don't tolerate is skipping school. There will be consequences for this, of that, I am certain. But right now, whatever punishment they can come up with doesn't scare me as much as my classmates do.

I groan, hating myself so much right now. When did I become such a baby?

I am sitting on the floor against the wall, bag at my side. At least this place is clean. It doesn't smell like most public bathrooms. Not this early in the day anyway. I cling to the hope that being here won't give me an infectious disease. Everything is white, glossy tile and overbearing antiseptic. I stare at my gray Converse shoes and slide the rubber edge of one along the floor. It leaves a scuff.

What if they're right? What if I am a bully?

I look down at my phone again. It's been burning a hole in my hand all morning as I've meticulously read through the comments. Thing is, people really like it.

Most people.

I scroll past the hundreds of new comments I've already scrutinized and find myself studying the story. Ya, okay, so maybe it's not that greatest thing to do to people. I never should've used their real names. But it's fiction. Not real. Everyone knows that. Maybe they should be flattered by the attention. I let out a scoff at the thought.

If Char doesn't like negative attention, she sure has me fooled...

I skip the beginning and start from where the story begins to take off.

***

The Rise and Fall of Silver Kingdom

Chapter Six

His Royal Highness, King Roan Cain, sat on the throne, a gold brocade crown perched atop his head. He looked too young to be a king, but of course, that didn't matter in Silver Kingdom. His father had died three years ago and ordained by God, Roan had slid into his father's place as if Roan had planned it himself. At only seventeen, he was the youngest monarch in the surrounding kingdoms. Some questioned if that was why he was so brutal, so determined to prove himself.

So lacking in wisdom.

At his side, Queen Charlotte surveyed the peasants. She was fresh off the honeymoon but that didn't stop her from feeling every bit the part of a worthy queen. Besides, she'd been betrothed to Roan since infancy. Her place by his side in the throne room, and in the bedroom, was her born right. Nobody else suited the job better.

The queen looked down her perfect nose at the men before her, loathing their neediness and filth. As far as she was concerned, if a person couldn't afford to dress for the court, they shouldn't come at all. How dare they show their poor faces in front of them?

It was time again for the king's candidates to present themselves. The best fighters in the kingdom were in attendance and would soon compete for an apprenticeship with the Silver Knights. Only the top would be chosen. The fact that they weren't all bred from nobility was custom, to the queen's destain. Give me time, she thought.

"Brother," King Roan said, peering down at the man kneeling before him, "are you actually impressed with this sodden lot, or should we throw them out right now?"

Noah Cain smiled his rakish grin up at his twin, his older brother by merely a few minutes. He wasn't king, Roan had been born into that role, and Noah had been allowed to train as a knight instead. And it suited him. He loved the thrill of battle, the travel, the women...

"Aw, come now brother, don't be so quick to judge these men," Noah replied. "They just might turn out to be what this Kingdom needs to defeat our enemies."

It was true that the Silver realm had more enemies than allies. When the late king had passed away, too many neighbors saw that as an opportunity to move in. Roan had grown up fast, squashing many armies with his own might, and at only age fourteen. Since then, he'd become known for his brutality and lack of mercy. But that's the way things are when such a young person ascends a thrown, and when his fiancee is even more heartless than he is.

Roan glared down at the men before him, a pack of nearly fifty, most were enlisted in his army. Only one would be granted the chance at knighthood. Those were the men who worked directly with his brother. And with him. To be a knight was to be in a position of power, respect, and considerable wealth. For most of these men, it was their only chance at a better life.

"You may present yourselves to me," he sighed, shifting back into his throne. He didn't make eye-contact with Charlotte, but he already knew her feelings on the matter. She hated that people born of such low status could have such an opportunity to elevate themselves. That she would have to talk to them, associate with them, even if only in this context.

It felt like ages, but it wasn't long until the last man bowed and introduced himself. Truth be told, Roan didn't remember any of the names. It didn't matter; he would only take an interest in the winner. Losers had no value to him. For now, it was time to dine, and then tomorrow the competition would begin. At least that part would entertain him. There would be blood, after all.

"Thank you, brother, for your time in recruiting these men." King Roan turned to Noah. "Perhaps this shall be our best year yet. But first, we must eat."

The room visibly perked up, bodies standing tall, smiles lighting faces. Charlotte bristled and let out a small groan. She lifted a delicate hand to her dark curls as she glared at the unworthy lineup before her. They practically ogled her with their eyes, it was disgusting! But alas, it would be the one and only time most of them would get to dine like royalty, let alone with her at the table. They'd better enjoy it while it lasted. If anything, they ought to be afraid, not celebrating, as it wasn't uncommon for a hopeful man, or two, to be killed during the competition.

These things happened.

It was no one's fault, but merely the price one paid for the chance to associate with powerful people. She smiled. Just thinking about it made her feel better.

***Author's Notes***

Alright, I'll admit I got a little tripped up over this. It took me a while to figure out WHAT exactly I wanted to start with for the Silver Kingdom story. What do you think? Okay, maybe now we can see why Char and her friends (and boyfriend) are mad about this story going viral ;)