Chapter 16

Unknown to him Niyati had been awake for a while watching him work. She remembered how much he had loved his job. It wasn't just work for him but it was a passion. He never shared with her his reasons for his obsession but she knew there was something that drove him. As she watched him work she wondered why he quit the job he loved so much.

The last thing Varun wanted to do was discuss his reasons for quitting the job he had loved so much. He thought he was being noble by choosing to uphold the law and help those who were less fortunate than him but all he had been doing was glamorizing the job he knew nothing about.

He had been lucky to have parents who were well off and willing to support his dreams but in the end those dreams turned into nightmares. Being a cop had cost him everything. All the sacrifices were worth nothing.

He shrugged his shoulders and took a deep breath, "Let's just say that being a cop wasn't at all like it was cracked up to be. I lost all passion for it after my partner was killed."

"I don't understand. You always wanted to be a cop, so what changed after Peter died?"

Varun kept his face away from her. He wouldn't be able to look her in the eye while talking about his partner's death. All the memories would come rushing to forth if he looked at her now.

"I found out that one of our own killed Peter because he was working with internal affairs to expose the corruptions that were happening in our department."

Niyati gasped and put her hand on his arm. She knew how devastating it must have been for him to find out that the job he worshipped so much was full of lies on top of finding out that his mentor was killed by one of his own colleagues.

"I am sorry you had to go through that?"

He finally turned towards her, "Yeah me too, more than you will ever know."

He wasn't just staying that because he had found out some hard truth about his profession. Not all cops were dirty but during the investigation he lost the one thing that had brought him peace. He had lost her because there were things he couldn't share with her about his work and also because of his guilt.

"Do you enjoy what you do now?" Her question brought him out of his reverie.

"It took me a while to let go of my dream and I stayed on the job even after I helped put the dirty cops away but it wasn't the same anymore. So many things happened after Peter was killed that I couldn't find the passion for the job anymore. I jumped at the chance of starting a private security firm when Shane offered it to me."

Niyati looked away from him. She wanted to know more but she did not want to hear about his marriage or his wife. Truth was she didn't want to know. If they started sharing their past then she would have to tell him the truth about why she left Baltimore. She could have stayed after their break up but she chose to put distance between them for a good reason. If she had stayed he would have never been free of her.

When she didn't say anything for a long time he took her chin and turned her towards him, "What else do you want to know?"

It was eerie how much he is able to read her. She shook her head in denial, "Nothing."

Again he was looking at her as if he knew exactly what she was thinking and his next words confirmed it.

"I won't push you for now but we are going to have a long talk after we find the person who is trying to hurt you."

"About that," She pulled away from him, "Do you know anything more regarding the accident?"

"Not yet, but we should know soon. I called Shane and told him to stop by as soon as he is free."