Chapter 14

Past..

Niyati turned off the TV and threw the remote on the sofa. The house felt too quiet without Nidhi, and she was sick and tired of watching the news about how much snowfall Baltimore was in for tonight. Her eyes fell on the gleaming one karat diamond on her ring finger, and she sighed, understanding her sudden restlessness.

Two weeks.

It's been two weeks since he placed the ring on her finger and it still felt like a dream to her. She couldn't believe how quickly things had moved once she agreed to the marriage proposal that had been placed to her grandmother by Varun's parents but more than that she couldn't believe that he agreed to the proposal.

Even though he had mellowed towards her in the past three years, especially in the past year, she never thought he would reciprocate her feelings. He hasn't said he loved her, but the way he treats her now is very different from the indifference that he treated her with, in that first year, after they met. She had managed to tease him out of his somber and serious attitude, but she was still having a hard time accepting the fact that he is willing to marry her.

She knew the reason for her disbelief is because he continues to holds back from her even after the official proposal. Now that they are engaged she did not know how to behave with him. She was elated that she is going to marry the love of her life but his continued distance from her is a source of worry for her, and that is the reason she hasn't shared any personal details about her life with him.

She leaned against the window and watched the falling snow as she attempted to sort out her feelings. She couldn't put her finger on it, but she felt something was off with Varun's behavior. He had been attentive and even affectionate at their first official date, but she still felt unsure of things between them.

The attraction between them was still hot and heavy, and he had even given her a brief but amazing kiss at the end of their date but.

She was startled out of her thoughts by the loud knock at the front door. She frowned, who would be knocking her door this late? She thought about ignoring it but thought may be one of her neighbors might need help since it is snowing outside, so she opened the door and gasped when she saw Varun on her doorstep with blood stained clothes looking lost as never before.

Varun did not know what had made him drive to the one destination he had been trying to avoid for the past two weeks. Ever since the official date and the proposal he had been avoiding being alone with her but tonight the only person that could bring him peace is the angel standing in front of him with a confused and worried look on her face.

He knew that this is the last place he should be in considering his state of mind at the moment, but for once he wanted to let go of everything and lose himself in her. He knew she would be the only one who would be able to sooth his pain and clear his confusion that he was feeling after the events of the night. He opened his mouth to speak, but she pulled on his hand to bring him into the house. He was immediately warmed by her touch and her home.

She asked no question as she walked him to her room and gave him a towel, "Go freshen up while I go get you something to eat." She left him in the room before he could say anything. He decided there was plenty of time for explanation and did as she instructed.

Niyati waited outside her bedroom door until she heard the shower in her bathroom come on. She eased the door open gently and looked for his car keys. She found them next to his service gun and his wallet. She grabbed the keys and ran out quickly to grab his gym bag from his car. She was glad he always carried spare clothes in his car otherwise she would have had to run out for clothes for him.