17. A meeting in the woods.

Start from the beginning

"We don't have a Spirit Wolf", she snarled at him.

A vaguely familiar presents touched her mind.

"That's him", Darren explained. "Although he has never presented himself to you, he has been with you since before birth."

Charlotte felt overwhelmed by this information.

"I know this is my first incarnation, but that doesn't mean I am without knowledge. Spirit Wolfs only come to those who are special. Like in changing history special."

Darren looked at her with a bemused smile.

"You are paired with a human male. Looks special enough to me."

Charlotte blushed.

"Did the Spirit Wolf reveal why I'm paired with Art?"

Darren shrugged his shoulders.

"He hasn't said much about anything else. Guess I don't need to know."

After hearing that Charlotte gingerly sat up and drank the potion that Darren offered her.

"So what, are you a seer or a healer, or something?"

"Or something", he grinned.

His blue eyes sparkled when he saw her pout.

Knowing he wouldn't answer her curiosity about this, she changed the subject.

"Where's Spike?"

"Delia, one of my assistants, is very happy with her new helper", he chuckled. "She has him working all over the Sanctuary."

"Could you please get him. I really need to talk to him."

Darren nodded.

"I'll ask him to stop by later with some food. For now you need to rest."

Despite her initial protests she was already asleep before Darren could leave the room.

Next time she opened her eyes it was dark outside. Spike was standing in the corner lighting some candles.

"Finally, you're awake.", he glanced over his shoulder with obvious relieve.

Charlotte shook her head.

"Still no Art."

Spike hurried to her side.

"Should we be worried?"

Charlotte thought carefully about her answer.

"Physically we are almost healed. It just feels like Art is in some deep sleep. I sense him, but I can't reach him."

She shrugged when Spike frowned.

"I know. It doesn't make sense."

"No", said Spike. "Actually it makes allot of sense. I spoke with Darren and he explained your...eh...unique situation.

Charlotte blushed under his admiring gaze.

"Considering your condition it is possible that Art's unconsciousness is deliberate."

"But to what end?" she asked confused by his deduction.

"I don't know", he admitted. "We'll just have to wait until he wakes up."

Both of them stared into the candles thinking about Art and praying for his safe return.

"Hold on Art", was the last thing he heard Spike say before darkness swept over him.

When Art opened his eyes he was surprised by the absence of pain. Looking around he found himself standing in a forest. The air around the ancient trees was thick with magic and Art felt he could absorb some of its energy just by extending his fingers.

"I wouldn't do that", he heard a deep voice behind him say.

Art immediately turned towards the voice and noticed someone (something) watching him. Strangely enough he couldn't focus on the appearance of his company. Almost like it was in a continually flued stage.

"You know me although we have never met", the deep voice rumbled.

Art wanted to shake his head, but then realized the truth in those words.

"How is that possible?" he asked perplexed.

"I have not called you here for answers. Those will come in time. For now I have two very important tasks for you. First of all you must hurry home to the Palace and protect Prince Alexi. Second you must make sure that he drinks the vial you have in your possession. Make sure he drinks it on your birthday. Now hurry, you have no time to lose."

A rose petal floated through the air and landed on his lips filling him with energy. When he blinked his companion had disappeared. When he blinked again he was back in the real world and found Spike at his side.

The man looked absolutely relieved to see him.

"Welcome back. How are you feeling?"

"Like I knocked on Deaths door", Art admitted wondering where all the energy went.

Spike smiled.

"Well I'm glad he turned you away. You've been out for almost six days now."

Art sat up with a jolt.

"We have to get back to the Palace", he said and hurried out of bed.

"But you are still recovering", Spike said worried about this sudden action.

Art gripped him by the broad shoulders.

"A something or someone in an ancient forest told me to get my ass back to the Palace and protect Alexi. I also think that I got some help with my recovery although it seems that all the energy was used up."

Spike seemed to find nothing odd about his words which surprised him greatly.

"Are you ok with all this?" he asked with raised eyebrows.

"Just going with the flow", said Spike nodding his head. "I'll alert Darren and make arrangements. Be prepared to leave with the next half hour."

True to his word, they mounted there horses with thirty minutes. A man, unfamiliar to Art, looked up with a noticeable affection on his face.

"Please take good care of Charlotte", he said stunning Art.

Charlotte would never reveal herself to someone he couldn't trust, making this man an immediate ally. "You have a difficult task ahead of you, young man. Beware of the Snake in your midst. If he gets away, war falls on us all."

Off they rode into the night. Praying for a hasty return and finding the means to prevent a coming catastrophe.

Of course, Art was very aware of the danger and repercussions of the current situation and still he couldn't help but linger at the thought that next time he entered the Palace he would be seventeen.

And able to identify his mate.

Finally Charlotte stirred.

"You know who gets my vote."

Surprisingly he agreed with her.

"Let's go get our man."