Episode 21 - Girl Meets Texas Returns Pt.2

Josh had gotten back the week before spring break, and while the letters, emails, and video chats had been great, it wasn't the same as when she was with him. She missed those days when she would draw while he read to her, even though no one really knew about them, she missed the days they worked together at the café. Most of all she missed how he would always show up when she needed him the most. Riley was her best friend in the world, and while they hung out and had girl time, and while Riley loved her like a sister Maya had annoyed her to no end the last two months with her grumpiness.

There was just so much you could do when you missed someone, the way Maya missed Josh.

So when they had planned the trip to Texas, Maya made sure that Josh was going to go with them even if he had just gotten back from his own trip. She would have never thought that the day would come where she would like someone as much as she did Josh. But here it was and she wanted to hold onto that feeling, because she was afraid that everything would go to hell so quickly.

The flight to Texas she sat next to Josh and never moved from her seat, she fell asleep next to him just taking in the warmth of him next to him. In the back of her mind she thought of how ridiculous she was being, all because she wanted to be next to Josh. If she didn't know any better she would say that Riley's personality was taking over again, but then she realized that this is what feelings were like when you were in a romantic relationship, and it was weird... but she wasn't sure if she would trade it in for anything else.

That was how, on the first day after the barbeque she had found herself taking Josh by the hand and pulling him towards a set of bushes not far from where their friends were and kissing him under the stars. They would have stayed there all night if Riley hadn't forced them to go to bed, which was a real disappointment to Maya because she just wanted to be with Josh. The next day they went out for a walk around the ranch, they saw Riley and Lucas with the horses, so the two of them walked in the other direction, and found themselves in a field of flowers. They walked and Josh would pick a few flowers and give them to her, Maya sat there while he chose them carefully, she pulled out her sketchbook and drew the scene in front of her smiling at how beautiful it all was.

That night, the words campfire floated into the air and Maya was all of a sudden thrown back to a day so many years ago where everything went wrong because she had had a moment with Lucas. She knew the cause of it all now but at the time she hadn't, that night she wanted to forget she had ever hurt her best friend so she took Josh back to the bushes and kissed him senseless. He knew something was wrong, he knew the story so he held her close and gave her what she wanted... comfort.

The next day Josh pulled her aside and took her back to the field.

"Are you alright?" he asked her as they sat down and watched the flowers move with the soft breeze.

"It's just that," she said looking at the flowers in front of her. "Last night I realized just how much I hurt Riley all of those years ago, I mean she forgave me way too easily for all of it because of our friendship... Josh I really hurt her."

He pulled her close and rubbed his hand up and down her back. "I know what happened, well most of it, and I could see the way Riley tensed up last night at the sheer mention of a campfire, but after a while she relaxed so in the end she's dealing with it as much as you are but there's one thing that's different right now versus what happened then."

"What's that?"

"You're all in relationships, and you're all happy, and most of all your classmates aren't getting into your heads," he said to she smiling.

She smiled back realizing that the one problem she had trouble with during middle school, it was losing Riley as a friend, but they're still friends so in the end that didn't matter. The other thing was that she had Josh with her, unlike before where she was trying to get over him and letting everything else into her mind. He was an anchor for her in the same way Riley was, they had a piece of her heart and made sure that she didn't lose herself again.