Episode 10 - Girl Meets Riley's Hair

It was a Saturday morning, and Riley had gotten almost no sleep because she had helped close the café the night before only to get home and stay up later than she would normally. She was worried, the SAT's were coming up, she was filling out applications for colleges, she had homework, and now on this Saturday morning when she could normally sleep in she was woken up by her mother. Auggie and Ava had to work on a school project, her mother had a work emergency, and her father had to go to some teacher's convention. So it was up to Riley to watch Auggie and Ava, and she knew that falling asleep on the couch had been a bad idea, but it had happened anyway. She had been lulled to sleep by the quiet work the two kids were doing, while Artemis laid at her feet.

It had been a mistake to fall asleep. When Riley woke up her hair was glued to the back of the couch and Auggie and Ava were desperately attempting to free it without ruining her hair or the couch. The couch had already been replaced once, after the fire the year before but this was something else.

"Auggie," Riley said which only made the ten-year-old start crying.

"I'm sorry Riley," he sobbed, she could be angry but it was her fault for falling asleep.

"It's my fault," Ava said quietly. "We were just playing and it got a little out of control."

"Come over here you two so you can explain," she said unable to move her head to look at them. She knew she had to be calm, there was no way around this and she was to stuck to do anything else.

The two of them walked around to the other end of the couch far enough away that she couldn't reach them but close enough to see them. Riley sighed as she saw the looks of sadness in their eyes because she knew they were sorry for what had happened.

"Speak now," she said watching them.

"We were working on the project, and Ava spilled the glitter by accident," Auggie said.

"I said we could use it for something, and I threw a little into his hair because he's adorable when he sparkles," Ava said squeezing his hand.

'Gosh they're cute' Riley thought as she watched them.

"Well I said let's get the extra glue and try to use it on the project, and we were playing around a bit with the glitter and Ava had some confetti and she threw some, so without thinking I threw the first thing I had in my hand... which..." tears started coming down his face.

"He threw the glue because he had grabbed it without thinking, and Riley we're so sorry, your hair is so pretty and we... and we," Ava started crying as well.

Riley sighed, she knew that there was a huge mess behind her, especially since they were playing with art supplies. "Come here you two," she said gesturing for them to sit down next to her.

When they moved, Auggie had put his arm around Ava as they moved together towards the couch. Once they were next to her she pulled them close and gave them a hug.

"It was my fault for falling asleep, so much has been going on that I haven't slept a lot but that doesn't excuse the fact that I should have stayed awake," she said to them. "This doesn't mean that you're not in trouble, but for now go grab the scissors so we can free me from the couch."

"Riley we can't cut your hair," Auggie said knowing what she was going to do.

"Augs, I don't see another way out of this, glue is like gum once it's in there it's really in there."

"But it's your hair," he said making her sigh.

"We're only cutting off enough that I would get free and then once we finish cleaning everything up we'll go to the hair salon down the street and get it fixed," she said smiling at her brother. "Hair grows back don't worry, plus it was getting a little long and Artemis sometimes likes to grab it to play with it so a cut wouldn't be that bad."