(1) "Are you lost?"

Start from the beginning

I take a deep breath and snatch my gym bag from the bleachers, heading towards the locker rooms on the other side of the field. I absentmindedly watch the football players practice their drills, the first practice of the year.

Most of them, if not all of them probably spent the entire summer here doing these drills, but apparently there's no rest for the wicked. Our team is one of the best in the state and coach makes them work hard, ensuring that they practice almost every day.

My phone hums with vibration from inside my gym bag and I pull it out and see a text from Spencer. My best friend and pretty much the only person in this school that I can tolerate spending an extended amount of time with.

Hey, so I know it's only Monday. But I'm thinking of the weekend already. FaceTime me when you're home. We'll discuss plans!

I smile to myself, knowing that she'll more likely than not, try and coerce me into a party because she believes my 'connections' should be put to good use.

Spencer adores the social life. She flies under the radar, much like I do. But she still likes to let her hair down and live a little. Most of our outings are for her benefit, but I always tag along because if I don't then she wouldn't have anyone else to go with.

She's one of the most beautiful girls that I've ever met. Her caramel complexion and dark hair is something to envy. Not to mention her bone structure is to die for. But she doesn't dress herself up, she rarely wears make up and she's hidden behind a pair of retro glasses unless it's the odd occasion when she puts her contacts in. Of course, the shallow humans in this school can't appreciate someone unless they look like a life size barbie doll.

I begin to type out a reply, appeasing her need for socialising by saying that I can't wait to hear what she's got planned, when a distant masculine voice gets my attention.

"Heads up!"

I look forward just in time to spot a football spiralling through the air, straight towards my face. Instinctually my phone drops out of my hand as I lift my arms and catch the ball before it breaks my nose and more importantly my pride. Because that would have been humiliating.

"Sorry!"

I move the ball away from the front my face and spot a built quarterback pulling off his helmet. He's a good forty five feet away but I recognise his unreal good looks immediately.

Drayton Lahey.

Team quarterback, Captain of the Archwood Wolves.

His sweat drenched dark blonde locks stick up in all directions after he's pulled his helmet off but somehow he still looks like a damn GQ model. He claps his hands and holds his arms out, signalling for me to throw the ball as he begins a light jog towards me. His muscular frame is dominant, his olive skin glistening with sweat. How does he make sweat look good?

I save the saliva that's running down my chin because while I don't know a lot about our team captain, I do know that he's obnoxious. He's loud, he's inappropriate and that's what I've picked up without sharing classes with him. This year we have Econ together.

I pull my arm back and step forward, throwing the ball through the air, directly towards him. It's a perfect shot and he catches it flawlessly. I make out the surprised expression that flashes on his features for a brief moment. A few low whistles come from his team mates and I hear the words 'she-hulk' from somewhere down field.

It's as if they can't fathom that a girl can throw a ball.

I roll my eyes and pick up my phone and gym bag from the ground before I  carry on towards the locker rooms. It's typical that something as simple as throwing a ball could attract attention. It's a testament to how underdeveloped teenage brains are.