[ Chapter 17 ] - [ Worrisome ]

Thanks to a group of theater kids, they were kind enough to record a little video to post on the school page requested by the Principal himself. One boy with dark short hair held up a camera recording the Principal with Shu and Valt by his side. You, on the other hand, were standing next to the kid recording. Even though both boys told you it was alright for you to stand with them, you refused. You already had enough of a presence online, you don't want to overshadow these two in their accomplishments.

"Kurenai Shu, Aoi Valt, I thank you both," The Principal starts as he shifts his attention between the two. Meanwhile, you shuffled nervously on your feet, a little uneasy due to the information Valt had shared with you late last night when he returned from finding Shu. Valt's face wasn't showing any hint of happiness even now. "I'm really glad it's two of my students who are going into the finals for the regional tournament," He says and pats the boys' shoulders. "You've done well." He states.

Shu looked at him and flashed him a small thankful smile. "Thank you."

"This is a school-wide broadcast, right?" You curiously whispered to a girl with purple hair in an attempt to push away the gross feeling of worry.

The girl in question nods, "Yeah," she whispers back and looks at Shu and Valt. "So shake hands, you two!"

Just as Valt was going to shake Shu's hand, you see Shu had outstretched his left. Quickly, Valt switched hands to properly shake it.

After school, you and Valt headed home right after club activities. Having a little run-in with the rest of the gang and the reveal of Shu's injury coming to light, the club decided it was best if you and Valt went home to rest up and think about the battle tomorrow.

Sitting in Valt's room in complete silence, you rested against his chair by his desk while Valt lays on his bed. The weight of the battle for tomorrow wasn't a good one but it wasn't the usual weight of worry about whether or not you'll win. It's the weight of having the knowledge that Shu will be fighting with an injured arm that didn't sit well in your stomach.

You swirled a little to look at Valt. There, he lays, arm resting over his eyes, lips pressed into a thin line, Valt was unmoving and unresponsive. You sighed quietly and decided to remove the suffocating silence and tension that hung in the air for you two. "What do you think we should do?"

Valt didn't raise his arm nor did he move much. "I dunno. . ." he whispers.

"It's too risky to have Shu fight like that. . ." you say, "but if we push the topic more—Shu'll get angrier." You leaned against the desk with a sigh, "Relationships are so complicated. . ."

Then, there was silence again. Valt lifted his arm off his eyes and stares at his ceiling in frustration. His hum cuts through the atmosphere and directs his eyes at you, "We don't have to fight him if we really don't want to, but," he whines. "After all this time! As soon as I finally catch up to him, this happens!"

"It's unfortunate," you reply.

"Yeah."