Part 1 - The Last Refuge Of A Scoundrel (I)

Author's Note: This is season 2 of a serialized story. While it's not required to understand it, it's recommended that you start with Season 1, which can be found on my profile.

The Armstrong was leaving the furthest reaches of the core, where only the frayed edges of the T-net reached, when the Hatshepsut hailed it. To facilitate establishing a stable link this far out both ships disengaged their relativity drives and decelerated in an instant. They found themselves halfway between two barren systems, separated by a few million kilometers.

On the bridge of the Armstrong Captain Littlecrow stood up from her command throne. Around her the rest of the bridge crew was hard at work on their individual consoles.

"This is Captain Alexandria Littlecrow of the FSS Armstrong to the FSS Hatshepsut," she said, speaking to the blank screen the dominated the bridge "Do you read?"

The screen flickered to life, popping with static for a moment before it melted away into crystal clarity. On it appeared Ojore Sandström, Captain of the Hatshepsut. His black Military Fleet uniform was like a photo negative of the white one worn by Exploration Fleet, and Sandström's was meticulously crisp and clean. He had one of those haircuts that came preprogrammed into barber software.

"This is Captain Ojore Sandström of the Hatshepsut," he said "I read you loud and clear Captain. Might I also add that it is an honor to meet a war hero of your caliber."

"I appreciate the sentiment," replied Littlecrow "I assume you didn't come all this way to congratulate me on my service in the Reunification Wars."

"Indeed not," said Sandström "I'm afraid I'm here to arrest two of your crewmembers."

Littlecrow narrowed her eyes.

"I didn't hear anything about this," she said.

"It was decided this should be kept secret until there was a ship in range," said Sandström "Of course you'll want to verify the orders yourself, I understand completely. This is an unusual situation."

"I would have to agree with you on that last point," said Littlecrow "Which members of my crew are you here to arrest?"

"I have warrants here for a man operating under the alias Dr. Heliodore Kang, and his accomplice Yoshiko McAfree."

Using all of her decades of military training, Mitzner refrained from laughing and slapping her knee.

Captain Littlecrow took a deep breath, held it for a moment, and exhaled.

"As you said, I'll want to independently verify all of this immediately," she said.

"Of course," said Sandström "However I will have to insist you wait here with us until everything is sorted. Hail us once you've confirmed all this is legitimate. End transmission."

Sandström's figure winked out of existence, to be replaced by a stationary starfield.

An uncomfortable silence settled over the bridge.

"Anyone who says they're surprised is a liar," said Mitzner, finally.

"Captain," said Gibson "I think it's safe to assume that Dr. Kang was eavesdropping on that conversation. It would be prudent to have him moved to the brig at this time."

"That's jumping the gun a little, I think," said Littlecrow "Ensign Marceaux, get in contact with Mars and verify the validity of those warrants. I'm going to go have a chat with the good doctor. Commander Gibson, the bridge is yours."

"I'm coming too," said Mitzner.

"Oh no you're not," said the Captain "And that's an order. This is a delicate enough situation as it is."

With that, the Captain left the bridge.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Mitzner, once she was gone.

"The Captain is implying that your open hatred for Dr. Kang would make you a liability in this situation," said Commander Gibson "While I share your opinion of the man I can't say I disagree with her."

"I never get to have any fun," said Mitzner.

* * *

"Dr. Kang, open the door," said Captain Littlecrow, once the door to the Science Department refused to open at her command.

There was no reply, but the door slid open. Littlecrow stepped through.

"Let's not pretend you don't already know what's going on," she said "I'm here for your side of the story. The quick version."

Dr. Kang was sitting at his desk, which was littered with computer equipment and scientific apparati. McAfree was sat casually in her own chair, swiveling it back and forth ever-so-slightly. Wagner was the only member of the Science Department who looked worried. He had paled visibly and was pacing around the room.

"I am formally requesting asylum for myself and my assistant," said Dr. Kang.

"What about me?" asked Wagner.

"What about you?" snapped McAfree "You don't have a warrant. Nobody cares about you."

"I'm not willing to entertain any such requests until you tell me what's going on," said the Captain.

"I can't tell you what the pretense is," said Kang "Because I don't know for certain myself, but what's really going on is the Council is finally making it's move."

"The Council?" asked Littlecrow.

"That's correct," replied Dr. Kang "How much do you know about the early history of the Huxley Foundation?"