“She is a friend,” Dayo smiled. Brenda had done the wildly honorable thing and had taken off from HC also, despite the fact that there was no guarantee Penguin would offer her employment. But Dayo had insisted that she had to be his editor, if he was ever going to work with them and they had agreed after much negotiation and compromise.

“Besides, I’m not trying to boast or anything, but it’s not everyday she’d find an author of my status to work with. I’m pretty much the biggest person, she’s going to work with. Further more, the huge success of – Nuclear, has now cemented her as one of the most renowned editors of the new age. She isn’t in my shadow anymore.”

“Nuclear, huh? It’s been a while since a book has been that Nuclear.” Victor commended. Nuclear, was the title of his most recent work, which was the Romance book centralized on the struggle and strain of a relationship involving two individuals of differing personalities. The book went on to defy all odds, and even his expectations. It sold over Thirty million copies worldwide and also went on to snag him a handful amount of literary laurels. It was his first work which was both a critical and of course – a financial success.

“Victor, giving me a compliment. Hmm.” Dayo’s brows rose as they finally came to a halt in front of the familiar – Range Rover Sport 2017. “A lot must have changed in the past year. But not important things such as the model of this car for instance, since this is 2018.”

“Hey, replace your car on your own time and money.” Victor snarled, shoving the car keys in his face as the men he brought along – loaded his luggage into the car. “Just like you said earlier, I’m not your mom or girl-friend. I see no concrete reason why I should take up such responsibility.”

“You’re not even going to drive?” Dayo stared blankly at the keys in his hands, as his friend went around the car to get on board. “Later they’d ask me why I’m always so anxious to ask you for help.”

“I know right? Beats me too.” Victor scoffed, just as he got into the car also. Dayo shot a backward glance at the trio of men, who stood static behind the vehicle. “Aren’t we going to give them a ride?”

“You tell me, I’m not the owner of the car.” His friend shrugged. “I paid them to come fend the mob off, not to enjoy free services. So if you feel the need to take them wherever they’re going because you know, you have nothing tangible to do with your time and you’re not exhausted from your flight, which BTW their destination is in separate places – well go on ahead. Just keep in mind that I paid them, okay? So you’re still going to pay me back. So can you see? You’re paying them to butter them up? I don’t think so.”

Dayo’s glare drilled imaginary holes into his friend’s temple. “You couldn’t have just said, they wouldn’t be needing the ride? And BTW, I’m not paying you shit. You come over the way here to welcome me, and you can’t even drive. You should be happy I’m not dropping you off with the rest of the men standing outside. Which BTW, me taking you back home – acts as a payment for your money. So if you want actual money, you could get down and join the cool guys outside.”

“And deprive you of my company?” Victor shook his head. “I’m not that cruel. Oh and don’t worry, I won’t charge you for that.”

Dayo’s lips quirked, as the engine of the vehicle sprung to life and the car jerked forward. “I wonder how much it would cost to get you to keep your mouth shut.”

“That’s just it. You can only – wonder,” Victor smiled, his fingers drumming gently on his thighs. “There is simply no price that would be enough to compensate. Anyway, there is a little dinner, Eloho is organizing for you tonight. Think you can make it? Tiolu would be there.”