Chapter 16: Christmas Gifts

Days passed and before I knew it, it was Christmas Eve and Tony was throwing another party. I wore a red and green plaid dress with a bow wrapped around it.

And Natasha French braided my hair for me

And Natasha French braided my hair for me. I walked downstairs to the party nervously, this time prepared to turn down any offer Tony gave me for a beverage.

I walked over to Natasha and Wanda.

"Hey guys."

"Hi Sara." Natasha responded. She offered to get me a nonalcoholic drink.

"No thanks." I said, "I don't want to end up calling you Ginny again."

"You don't trust me?" She pouted.

"I trust you Nat, it's Tony's beverages I don't trust."

"Oh." She smiled. And I looked around the room for Loki, surprised to find he actually decided to show up. I looked away before he could catch me staring. The two girls I was with noticed however.

"Go, talk to him." Wanda encouraged.

"And if he mentions anything about taking over New York again, let us know!" Natasha added.

I rolled my eyes but walked up next to him.

"Hi."

He turned to look at me and smiled.

"You look beautiful."

"Thanks." I blushed.

"And you're cute when you blush."

I pushed him.

"Stop it." Blushing, again. He laughed and then his eyes turned sad.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's just that- all of the people here are afraid of me."

I looked around and noticed the way everyone avoided us. I took his hand and looked up at him.

"I'm not afraid of you." I said softly.

"Well, you have proven yourself to be quite capable of holding up your own."

"What do you mean?"

"You stabbed me once and shot me twice."

"On accident!"

"Both times it seemed like you meant it."

I looked down at my shoes.

"Hey, love, I was just joking."

I nodded and forced a smile. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. This time my smile was genuine.

"I have something for you."

"Christmas is tomorrow."

"I know, but I don't want everyone to make a big deal about this."

"Okay..." And I followed him outside onto the balcony. He handed me a small box and I opened it to see a silver necklace inside.